Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet Access After Deleting Registry From HIJACK THIS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

WiscoMan

WiscoMan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have no internet access after trying to rid my system of some malware. I think the cause was my deleting a key registry from my Hijack This scan. I have rebooted, reset my modem and done all the basic stuff. When I run the command ipconfig/flushdns the result is simply "Windows IP Configuration" with nothing else. I have no IP address, mask or any of that stuff (not zeroes, just blank). When I click repair for the network connection I get the following error...failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. I do not have a Windows XP disk and no packets are being received or sent. System Restore does not work. Please help get my Internet back!!

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello WiscoMan and welcome to Geeks To Go

Hijack This is not a tool for beginners to use and using it im-propperly can result in things like this and even worse, I would strongly advise if you do not know what you are doing with this tool is simply create a log and show it to people who do know how to use it.

First thing I would do is turn off your modem, wait for 30seconds, turn it back on and wait for 2 minutes and this should reset your modem. If this fails please follow my directions below.

To rule out any spyware issue I reccomend for you to head to our malware removal forum which is here also before you post a log please read this post here
We are unable to assist with any form of malware removal in this forum, please post your problem in the malware forum where our experts will be more than happy to assist you.

You may want to also take a look at the list of Anti-Virus and Anti Spyware tools which are here

Regards

WiscoMan

WiscoMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried to post my HIJACK log, but it won't allow me because I have an outdated version. The problem is...with no Internet access on that machine I cannot download the new version and get someone to look at it. I use AVG 8.0, Spybot, MalwareBytes and a SmitFraud cleaning tool yesterday that cleaned up my malware problems I think. The lack of connectivity is not a virus problem. I disconnected the modem and it did not help. Is there a fix for this with the XP disk?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
The easiest way is a format but never ever format unless you have to :)

Goto the malware removal forum, explain your issue, if they need you to download a newer version of Hijack This they will tell you. Although you have no internet access do you have a memory pen or something similar? if so download the new version and put it on your memory pen and do it like that :) as long as you have someway to give them the logs you will be fine :)

Regards

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Follow-up is here:
http://www.geekstogo...ps-t206799.html