Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

(Various) USB Devices Not Being Recognised

• Please log in to reply

Notnefmail

Notnefmail

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Good Day fine folks,
I am having trouble on my Desktop PC with external storage devices such as my ipod and external hard-drive USB connections. When I am connecting the devices I am receiving an error message which states that the connections are not recognised. The external hard-drive is brand new so I know it is not a problem that has occurred removing the devices from the PC.
I am thinking that this may be a problem with a windows update but would really appreciate a response from somebody who has either suffered the same problem before or has a decent bit of experience with such hardware.
The problem occurs with more than one USB socket on the PC and so I think it is a system problem and not faulty hardware.

Many thanks for your time and any advice you can provide.
Liam

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Notnefmail

The problem occurs with more than one USB socket on the PC and so I think it is a system problem and not faulty hardware.

I see this problem quite alot and everytime I see this it always points to hardware and not software, however although you said your external hard-drive is brand new does this work fine on another computer? same goes for your other usb devices? if you know someone who has a pci usb card try getting that installed and see if you get the same problem. If this works fine with the pci usb card when I would say it is your usb ports that have gone faulty.

Regards

Notnefmail

Notnefmail

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hard drive and ipod connections both work fine on other computers, not managed to get hold of pci usb as of yet but I'm pretty convinved its not the usb ports as the printer and internet connections are fine and work in all ports.
I have read that wondows updater can cause similar problems with mass storage devices, should I be looking for a download?