Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how does this system look so far?

• Please log in to reply

gator325

gator325

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
hello - i have been doing some research for a new system i would like to build. i have taken some advice from posts on this forum as well as other places. i plan on starting to purchase components over the next month and tentatively put together this so far:

WD1600JBRTL EIDE Hard Drive 160GB Caviar SE 8MG Cache 7200RPM (already own this)

Mother Board

CPU

PSU

DVD Drive

RAM

Video Card

Case

Monitor

Thermal Compound

Total so far = $1,045.91

I wish to use this system for mainly gaming but also want a decent desktop in general. This is slightly more than i wanted to spend at this point in the build but oh well.

Wanted to get feedback from as many people as possible about this so far. Are there any parts above that i could change to save some money and not lose too much performance? Does this appear to be compatible?

Couple things:

1. should i get a quad-core rather than a duo-core? from what i know quad-core would allow me to have even more applications running without losing performance?

2. will the hard drive i own listed above work? i don't store much stuff on my PC so 160GB is fine for me.

3. i need an operating system and will get Vista - pretty sure i should get 32 not 64 - thoughts on this and what version of 32? can you link to newegg?

4. will i appear to have cooling issues? will i need an extra fan?

5. i have no experience in overclocking but probably will try it.

6. will the PSU above be enough - others you recommend?

7. last and most important - what trouble can i expect when i do build a system? i know it aint as simple as sticking everything where it goes, inserting Vista and, bam, it works! lol or is it? do i have all i need above to complete the build? (have a mouse and keyboard i will recycle)

any thoughts are appreciated - thank you all for the help and help in past posts :) i am trying to learn!

*one more thing - due to financial concerns i will probably order parts over the period of a month - is there any certain part i should order first (motherboard, cpu, etc.) since new things always come out and prices change - for example - the monitor seems like a great buy but i worry about it being discontinued - things like that.

Edited by gator325, 31 July 2008 - 05:03 PM.

Advertisements

gator325

gator325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
any help or thoughts if this would work? please.

i realize i am a nub when it comes to this stuff but i am trying :)

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Is there a specific reason why you went with that ASUS motherboard?

Since you don't have experience in overclocking, I suggest going with the Intel E8400, the only difference between the two is that E8500 is 0.16GHz and a higher multiplier (9.5) and since you don't know how to overclock, it'll be cost effective to get E8400 as that can also be easily OC'ed.

I suggest going with the Pioneer DVD-writer, much better product.

For the video card, the HD4850 is a good buy, however Sapphire is not a very good company because their customer support is not very good and hard to deal with. I suggest going with a different company like HIS, ASUS or Gigabyte.

For the LCD monitor, this Samsung 2253BW is a better buy than the Acer, Samsung makes really good LCD monitors and TVs.

Also go with this thermal compound, it has been recommended by a few of our Tech Staff here at GTG. Also note that the heatsink comes with the thermal compound (pre-applied).

Hope that helps, I probably didn't reduce the total cost with those changes I recommended but they're mostly better.

1. should i get a quad-core rather than a duo-core? from what i know quad-core would allow me to have even more applications running without losing performance?

Quad-core is only needed if you're going to use intensive applications like media rendering, audio rendering, video editing and all that kind of things, if all you're going to use your computer is for word processing, games and/or web browsing then dual core is just fine. There also some cases where an application doesn't benefit with the extra 2 cores.

2. will the hard drive i own listed above work? i don't store much stuff on my PC so 160GB is fine for me.

It should be fine for now unless you're gonna do a lot of media/video editing and the like.

3. i need an operating system and will get Vista - pretty sure i should get 32 not 64 - thoughts on this and what version of 32? can you link to newegg?

You should know that there is a limitation with the 32-bit OS, you will only see ~3.5GB of your RAM, however if you use 64-bit OS then you'll be able to see all of it (4GB or more). There are also some lack of drivers for 64-bit OS but I believe its very minimal now.

6. will the PSU above be enough - others you recommend?

PSU is great.

7. last and most important - what trouble can i expect when i do build a system? i know it aint as simple as sticking everything where it goes, inserting Vista and, bam, it works! lol or is it? do i have all i need above to complete the build?

As long as you read and follow the manual, you should be okay. Double check all connections to the motherboard and all the wirings of the PSU before turning on the computer. Also make sure you ground yourself before building your computer. If you have an anti-static wrist band then use that to prevent static shock which harms computer components. Once you have everything installed and double checked, power on your computer and go to BIOS and ensure your drives can be seen. That's the only thing that comes to my mind right now.

*one more thing - due to financial concerns i will probably order parts over the period of a month - is there any certain part i should order first (motherboard, cpu, etc.) since new things always come out and prices change - for example - the monitor seems like a great buy but i worry about it being discontinued - things like that.

It is a good idea to buy everything at the same time as in most cases, the ones you purchase first comes down in price. If you buy later, then that's even better because prices goes down pretty quickly.

Hope that helps.

gator325

gator325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thank you for the reply kamille :)

i went with that mother board simply because i saw it on another build someone had made on a forum and the reviews were good - would you recommend another one? i have seen cheaper ones but did not know if they would be sufficient for my needs. i dont need the best one out there - but i do want one that will allow me to add things down the road if the need ever arises.

i will definitely look at the video cards, cpu and dvd drive you recommended.

i have read different opinions on which version of Vista to use - 32 vs 64. guess i was set on getting the 32 because some people had issues with 64 and many have said it is not really necessary. using 32 will limit how much ram i can use or see? not sure what you mean by "see". do you mean the system will not allow more than 3.5 to be used or that it will only register 3.5 but actually fully use the 4g?

yea i know samsung is one of the best out there but i was looking to save 50-60 dollars with the acer lol.

again - ty!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Don't know about the E version of the board but the deluxe is great. I stuck in a Q6600 and its pretty much the perfect board to get the best out of the Q6600 as it may be an old lady now but she still knows how to rock with the right partner.

The MX-2 is also good stuff, but if you are using the retail cooler its not so good as to make a massive impact. Arctic Freezer Heatsinks are the way to go and you apparently get a tube of mx-2 with it and a great dirt cheap HSF.

I would go with the 64bit OS, it was back in the day when it first popped up a bit iffy driver wise but mostly ok, now its fine everyone makes 64bit drivers these days and Vista has a pretty good stock of generic ones and 32bit emulation for anything that doesn't.

If you can't immediately afford everything you should just set aside what you can till you have enough to get it all at once. Prices change so rapidly you can save allot in just a month and without all the parts you can't do much.

gator325

gator325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ty warriorscot :)

i checked out the deluxe version compared to the E version of the motherboard - looks nice and got good reviews, but cost about $40 (US dollar) more. guess i have some decisions to make in the near future! probably will not buy for another month so maybe it will come down a bit. and i will buy all of it together when ready -ty both for the advice on this.

also, i am about convinced i will get the 64bit Vista rather than the 32.

again - ty - this has been a big help - now i have some serious reading to do on over-clocking. i am one of those people who can read something 5 times and still get confused - i have to actually do it hands on and then i will be fine :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The P5Qs are good overclocking boards, they do it really well and the bios at least on my version has allot of options for making it easy. It isn't as good as the BIOS on MSI botherboards as they are almost idiot proof when it comes to overclocking but the Asus boards are better than most and as long as you read the manual and some guides you will be fine. If you are going to overclock you should get yourself a heatsink that is a little better than retail like the arctic freezer I mentioned.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

Just a quick note about the heatsink - I purchased an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and it came with MX-2 pre-applied, but I didn't get a tube of the stuff! Just for warriorscot's reference. :)

It's a great unit, though!

Troy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
All the arcitc cooling kits come with pre applied or with a tube, varies with the kit wether you get a small tube or pre-applied. Pre-applied is better as although MX-2 is great it is quite thick which makes it a bugger to get on without either putting on too much or too little and most people won't ever need a full tube of the stuff unless something goes wrong you won't need to reseat it and MX-2 doesn't degrade.

gator325

gator325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
well - i have been doing some looking the past week or so. i will be ordering everything in about 1 week so i wanted to finalize my system and get some feedback. here is what i have decided on:

CPU

Video Card

PSU

Monitor

DVD Drive

RAM

Case

As of now i will get $80 back in rebates.

I am sure of the CPU, Video Card, PSU, Monitor, and DVD Drive - (unless someone tears them apart lol)

For the RAM i am open for suggestions - i do want 4GB - if there is better or equal for cheaper i will change that.

The case seems very nice for gaming, seems big and cool - more than i wanted to pay but... will change if i can find a better one for less.

I am confused as to what version of Vista 64 to get. this or this or another version?
is the first one the version that is tied to a single mother board? is there another version i want that i am not seeing?

i am very confused about which mother board to get. i want something that will work with the above configuration, be easy to work with, and cost under $150. any suggestions? (i only need 1 video card for now - would like to have option to crossfire later if necessary)

last - i decided to keep my old hard drive with my current PC so i will need a new one - i do not need a big one - i do not download pictures, movies, music etc (my 160GB current one has more than enough for me) i need something decent and cheap as possible but still good - anything under $75 for what i am looking for?

i will be using this for gaming for the most part and i am happy with what i got so far - just need help with MB, Vista, and HD and other suggestions. for now i will not overclock but possibly in the future - ty :)

this HD look ok? here

Edited by gator325, 12 August 2008 - 02:17 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

I am confused as to what version of Vista 64 to get. this or this or another version?
is the first one the version that is tied to a single mother board? is there another version i want that i am not seeing?

Do not even bother with the Vista Basic as it doesn't have enough features, go with the Home Premium, its more or less like Vista Ultimate, just a few features missing (and imo, those features doesn't justify its high price).
All OEMs, once installed on a system, cannot be transferred or used on another system.
Retail is the one you can use on different system (can only be used on one machine at one time, cannot have it installed on different machines at the same time).

i am very confused about which mother board to get. i want something that will work with the above configuration, be easy to work with, and cost under $150. any suggestions? (i only need 1 video card for now - would like to have option to crossfire later if necessary)

This ASUS P5Q-Pro will be able to handle Crossfire, however the bandwidth speed will be like this: 16x and 8x. If you want 2 slots that can run at 16x then x38/x48 is the way to go however those boards are expensive and out of your budget. I found this x38 board, DFI Lanparty but can only support 800MHz of RAM.

this HD look ok? here

That looks good, there's also this Seagate hard drive for $69.99 and comes with a 5-year warranty instead of 3 years with WD.

Edited by kamille316, 12 August 2008 - 02:55 PM.

gator325

gator325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
finally got everything from newegg yesterday - for a first build everything went great - booted right up first try, recognized RAM, no dead pixels on monitor - i think i got lucky. just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped out with suggestions - i really appreciate it!!

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
That's great! :) It's always nice to have a build without any hassle/problems. If you have any pictures, please do post it :)