Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which PSU

• Please log in to reply

Primevi1

Primevi1

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I am looking to buy a PSU today hopefully and was looking at this one, I need a PSU with and 8pin pci cable for my 9800 gt2 GPU. Is having only 1 12v rail a bad thing? Should I try and go with a modular PSU? Should I try another brand? My GPU requires 580W plus I have a hdd and fans and overclocked CPU.

Thanks for the hopefully timely advice.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I just got an Antec Quattro 850W its really good and not the most expensive PSU on the market in that range. If you want cheaper look for PSUs in the Hiper range they are ultra cheap but you could never tell the difference between a Hiper and the same power rated PSU at twice the price.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Are you talking about the 9800GX2? The one I found about 9800GT2 is that its from China or something.
If its the 9800GX2, then the Corsair 750W should be good enough for your needs.

Is having only 1 12v rail a bad thing?

Having a single 12V rail is better (from what I've heard) because the load is not divided and not isolated. (don't quote me on this though and wait for a tech to answer your question).

Should I try and go with a modular PSU?

Modular PSU is more personal preference than anything, its simply better for cable management so you don't have some unused cables laying around inside your case.
Corsair is one of the better brands, I don't suggest switching.