Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with keyboard

• Please log in to reply

Norman-B

Norman-B

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello, I have had to have my hard drive wiped and Windows 98SE reinstalled (by a friend!). I now find that
a, the @ key has moved to the No 2 key
b, the screen has now got smaller, ie there is a black line at both sides of my screen.
Rather a novice at this lark, I'm afraid. Any advice welcomed. :tazz:

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
it sounds like a standard keyboard driver is installed for a non-standard keyboard. SHIFT-2 is the @ symbol on a standard keyboard.

let's try to uninstall the keyboard using device manager. then restart the computer
and retest after it is automatically reinstalled.

remove and reinstall using device manager:
start>settings>control panel>system>device manager>+ next to keyboard
please post whether red or yellow indicators are present(BEFORE = red, yellow, or none)
please post the device listed(BEFORE = Standard 101/102 ...)
select the device, remove, ok
restart the pc
please post whether red or yellow indicators are present(AFTER = red, yellow, or none)
please post the device listed(AFTER = ...)

as to the black lines on the screen - most monitors have an adjustment panel on the front(or buttons). look for the horizontal size and increase it until the lines disappear.

Norman-B

Norman-B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for the reply.
Norm