Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer continuously restarts - Win XP

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My grandmother called me with a computer problem and I need help on how to fix it.

She said her computer (Win XP - SP2 or SP3) is continuously restarting. She says the blue Windows logon screen does appear. She said that before it started restarting, an error box came up. It said something about Quickcam and drivers. She says she hasn't done anything or installed anything recently.

I think the camera is the Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000. I think it's left plugged into the USB port all the time. The computer is left turned on all the time.

She just had the computer worked on a few weeks ago because it was slow. She says the repair guy found a bunch of spyware and removed it. So I would think it wouldn't have any malware, yet. In another couple months it will, but I would hope it wouldn't now.

It's custom built with an Intel Core Duo Processor, 4 GB RAM, and 200 GB HD.

Could someone suggest what I should do?

I was thinking of turning it on to see what happens. If it starts rebooting, then I figured I'd turn it off and boot into Safe Mode. Then I thought I could look at the Event Viewer. I also thought maybe I should temporarily turn off that automatic restart option in the Control Panel. While I'm in Safe Mode I thought I could run HijackThis and see if anything looks suspicious. Maybe also do a virus scan just to be safe.

Any other thoughts on what I should do?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Turn off Automatic Restart, the blue screen will give you a clue.