Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"-5" voltage reading in the positives

• Please log in to reply

musenji

musenji

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. My hardware monitor (SilentTek) tells me that my -5 voltage is ranging from +3.45V to +3.60V. All other voltages are pretty normal (-12 is a bit high, from -10.9V to -11.2V, but for that I just expanded the allowed range to accomodate). I have hooked up three different power supplies, all with the same result.

Does anyone know what this might mean, hardware-wise? I'm assuming it must be the motherboard, which I just bought on Ebay to replace my old one. It's the exact same model: AOpen AK79G-VN. I never had this problem with my old mobo..

Thanks for any help anyone can offer, just let me know if you need more info.

Ben

Advertisements

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello there,

First things first... if everything is working OK, DON"T mess with it.

Your power supply provides a breakdown of 3 basic voltages.
24 vdc
12 vdc
5 vdc

Each one of the volatages has a specific purpose in your computer cabinet.
24 volts is for your motors (fans)
12 volts for drives
and 5 vdc for circuit power.

DC voltage is unique in that if the leads are reversed, a DC motor will turn in reverse.
Negative voltage is also used a reference voltage in logic circuits. Where from -5 vdc to +5 vdc there is a 10 volt spread. The negative voltage may be a static device that is waiting for another signal to influence it before switching to a positive voltage to activate.

Just remember that you are using a software program that is telling you that your computer has a bad voltage indication. But at the same time, everything is working on your system. I would trust that everything is working properly and send a bug report to the diagnostic software designer.

Hope this helps.