Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Everything went smoothly... almost

• Please log in to reply

MoMetal

MoMetal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
So I just finished putting together my first computer myself :) It starts up fine, all the fans work, os went without a hitch, all seems right in the world but then I checked my storage space. I put in two hard drives, a Western Digital 160 and a Western digital 500. They both show up in the BIOS screen however the 500 is nowhere to be seen once the comp is up and running. I can assume I'm just forgetting to do something stupid and simple but I would appreciate any type of direction I could follow to resolve this. Thanks

Matt

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Did you install the OS on the 160GB? If so, does that mean the 500GB is currently empty? If it is then you have to format it.

Go Start -> Run -> enter "compmgmt.msc" (without the "")
then expand Storage in the console tree and click the Disk Management
right click on your 500GB harddrive (it'll be something like 450GB and will say its an unallocated space)
then format/partition it

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 01 August 2008 - 09:39 AM.

MoMetal

MoMetal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
That would most likely be the issue. Now my only issue is I'm now a vista user :) (for better or worse) and I'm having a bit of an issue finding all the old buttons on the new dashboard. Is the command the same with vista?

Also just noticed I have the 160 as slave and the 500 as master. Does this matter or do I need to switch them?

Edited by MoMetal, 01 August 2008 - 10:34 AM.

O/Siris

O/Siris

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

That would most likely be the issue. Now my only issue is I'm now a vista user :) (for better or worse) and I'm having a bit of an issue finding all the old buttons on the new dashboard. Is the command the same with vista?

Should be. There's no RUN command, obviously. Just the blank at the bottom of the "Start" type menu, where you'd type it in. Otherwise, Kamille's got you covered. The Control Panel/Administrative Tools aren't all that radically changed.

Also just noticed I have the 160 as slave and the 500 as master. Does this matter or do I need to switch them?

You should be OK. Short answer: Windows has a file that runs during startup to ID which exact drive has the bootable partition. It should have you covered already.

EDIT: corrected typos.

Edited by O/Siris, 01 August 2008 - 10:47 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Should be. There's no RUN command, obviously.

Yes there is, it's not shown by default.
Hold down the Windows key on the keyboard and press R, or you can customise the menu to add it back.
The search icon on the Vista Start menu does more or less the same job (though it'll search for what you type before doing it) but you can also use it for elevating programs to Administrator status which you can't do through the traditional Run box.

MoMetal

MoMetal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Everything's working smoothly now. I appreciate all the help. :)

Matt

O/Siris

O/Siris

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Should be. There's no RUN command, obviously.

Yes there is, it's not shown by default.
Hold down the Windows key on the keyboard and press R, or you can customise the menu to add it back.
The search icon on the Vista Start menu does more or less the same job (though it'll search for what you type before doing it) but you can also use it for elevating programs to Administrator status which you can't do through the traditional Run box.

I generally don't bother with it. As you mentioned, the search box does everything the Run box did and more. No reason for it, IMO.

The OP is up and running, though. That's the important point.