Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1394 Adapter

• Please log in to reply

Slasherbaven

Slasherbaven

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
After deleting Ubuntu and reinstalling Windows XP, I couldn't connect to the internet because my LAN doesn't show up.
My laptop is a Compaq Presario v3500 V3713AU.

Everytime I enter Windows, it keeps prompting, saying "New Hardware Found - Ethernet Controller". However, since my laptop couldn't connect to the internet, the driver for whatever card it is could not be obtained.

The only Local Area Network connection that shows up is a certain 1394 connection, which I later found out to it being FireWire.

Any suggestions? =/

Advertisements

O/Siris

O/Siris

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Short answer: go to HP's Web site (since they own Compaq now) and download the LAN driver to another PC. "Sneakernet" it (i.e. save it to a disk or flash drive and walk it over) and then point the install wizard to that location.

Try this link for the driver. Technically, it's for Vista, but should do the trick for XP. Worst case, XP refuses to install it.

Slasherbaven

Slasherbaven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No, unfortunately that did not work.
Any alternatives? =/

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Using any computer go to the Compaq website, drivers and download and put in the service tag number of your machine. Then you will get the exact specifications for it. If Compaq doesn't support XP on that machine you may have to get the drivers from the device maker.

Slasherbaven

Slasherbaven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
What I did was I went to the nVIDIA website and download the set drivers for the Ethernet Controller.
And it worked!

Thanks for all the help anyway. =]