Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys wrt54g v8 slow internet speed

• Please log in to reply

Chernobyl_Cow_Say_Moo

Chernobyl_Cow_Say_Moo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello there! Thanks for tuning in! This week on slow internet adventures: :)

I have a wireless router, Linksys WRT54G v8, connected to my cable modem. I am receiving very slow speeds. My desktop is directly hooked up to the router. I'm an avid gamer and know that the speed is terrible because when my speed is good my games give me a 'ping' or latency of 20-40. When I 'ping' my games the servers list at 1000+ which is stone age.

What I have done is: suspected neighbors 'borrowing' wireless.
Set up password to no effect.
Found out that roommates weren't even connected to our network.
So it has just been me.
I attempted to update the firmware (?) but the file from Linksys is a .bin and well I don't know how to open it.

I'd be happy to provide any information needed:
Running WINXP

Any help or suggestions would be great.
Also, if this is just a bad router any low range suggestions? Reviews seem...conflicting.

Thanks!

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I have one and love it.

Have you done anything as simple as unplugging it for 30 seconds and plugging it back in? This allows the memory to be refreshed and clear out all the gunk that may be slowing down your internet.