Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'd like to open a server on my computer

• Please log in to reply

CutDown

CutDown

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I want to open a server for people to observe the website i developed throw my ip address freely...

the website i try to develope will probably be based on ASP and HTML,
also i would try to learn some mySQL database commands [ if any one can give me a good site to study from i would be more than pleased :) ].

I am a router user, and my OS - XP service pack 2..

- open a server in my computer
- supports asp, html and mySQL
- a good site i can study some mySQL commands from

Thanks alot for the helpers,
Ariel.

Advertisements

O/Siris

O/Siris

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well... you could always start with the built-in Web Server that comes with XP Professional. If it's Professional that you have. In short, you should be able to go to START/CONTROL PANEL/ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS. Click on the icon for "Add/Remove Windows Components" icon along the left side of the window. After a few moments, you get a "Windows Components Wizard" Window. If you have XP Pro, you'll see an option for "Internet Information Services." If you see that, you could install that. It supports ASP. It also includes support for database connections, and mySQL should be compatible with that. Although I haven't done this, I found this tutorial for installing and connecting mySQL, although the tutorial assumes you're going to use PHP to access mySQL, not ASP.

As for learning mySQL, I'd start with the source. There's a "Getting Started" page at the mySQL Web Site. I'd definitely begin with that. A Google Search for "mySQL Tutorial" brought up lots of options from there.

CutDown

CutDown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks,
I am using IIS ( internet info services ) but in case i want to log into the website from my school, or even from my friends
I havent tried but i believe IIS wont let people surf on the shared folder

btw, im a rooter user.