Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ventrilo LAN

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Hey,

I have a friend over for a few days, and we're playing some games via LAN. Mostly Titan Quest, Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War and Quake Wars.

Anyway, we're in different rooms, and typing messages really just isn't good enough for fast paced games, or you just get left behind while you type in Titan Quest.

I've been looking around for a program to use so we can use our headsets to communicate with eachother. I came across Ventrilo and I guess it all seemed fairly simple. That is until i realized I needed to host the server myself, so i downloaded the Server thing, and ran it. I still couldn't connect to my own server using the Ventrilo client when I was LANed.

So I got back on the internet and checked out some 'guides' which helped a tiny bit, I managed to connect to my own server while I was online, No luck doing it again when I was connected to his PC.

So yeah, i'm basically seeing if anyone could give me a simple step-by-step guide to how to set up Ventrilo through LAN. The Router i'm going through is a D-Link DI-614+ I think...

Thanks,
Seltox

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Ventrilo is a bit strange when it comes to connecting on a LAN. You have to use the LAN address if you are on the LAN. i.e. 192.168.xxx.xxx. Make sure any firewalls on the machine allow access to port "3784".

Anyone on the internet needs to use the WAN address,. You can check your WAN IP here. Use that for your friends that are not on your LAN.

You will have to forward port "3784" on your router to the LAN IP of your server for anyone to be able to connect from the WAN side.

More info on port forwarding is available here.

Good Luck.