Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about reformatting on XP

• Please log in to reply

MossGeek

MossGeek

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
This is going to sound pretty n00bish as my other posts but its something that I cannot get past.

I currently have a un working tower, hopefully it will be working within the next few weeks. But everytime I try to install windows on it, it gets to the initializing and then restarts the computer. I have it to boot from cd already. Yet it continually will do the restarting. I don't know whether or not it is due to the original owner had the drives partitioned? But if i've already reformatted the drive that shouldn't be problem should it?

As well,

If I am running windows already and just add a new harddrive into the computer? Is it possible to install windows on the new harddrive while currently running windows? Just wanting to know, cause I would like to keep a spare hd with just windows on it in case its needed and I can just pop that sucker into a new tower... or the other one in case something really bad happens to the current one?'

Don't know if that makes sense at all, if it doesn't i can try to redo it :) Gots to excuse my oatmeal upstairs isn't sitting too well :)

Edited by MossGeek, 01 August 2008 - 06:48 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Use DBAN from my signature to write 1 and 0 to the drive. Insert your CD and let the cd do the format.

If you mean another HD on a drive that is bootable and ready to go, I do not believe that is the best way to go. I had a operational HD I took out while I played wit another OS in test comp. When I put the good HD back, I had to reactivate it (I changed no components)
I would suggest after you get the OS working that you ghost an image on another drive or CD's.

MossGeek

MossGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Cool thanks for the info 123Runner:)

Just a thought, but in the end so far from what i've seen. Its best to take the advice, and will probably do the ghosting, don't want to take any more chances and make myself more stress and trouble.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there MossGeek,

I currently have a un working tower, hopefully it will be working within the next few weeks. But everytime I try to install windows on it, it gets to the initializing and then restarts the computer. I have it to boot from cd already. Yet it continually will do the restarting. I don't know whether or not it is due to the original owner had the drives partitioned? But if i've already reformatted the drive that shouldn't be problem should it?

Is this the problem you are having, the one you told me about in the malware thread? If so have you already tried to reformat the PC? Is this even the same PC we are looking at in the Malware Forums? Sorry to Hijack the thread, but I want to be clear as to what is going on lol...

MossGeek

MossGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hehe, this is a good question Mike.

The answer is actually No. I Have two towers, one which I am now on *the one in the other thread which you are helping me out with.*, and another which I blew the motherboard on from switching drives, roms, ram, etc..etc..too much between.

I am trying to make one power user/advanced pc, and another for those with very little knowledge just for checking email and surfing:)

Doing some editing for friends (well will be when I get the chance) on their wedding dvds. :) Video and sound editing, so preferrably would like the power account up and running while waiting for a new motherboard to come in. Will be checking out Free Geeks thrift store in vancouver about that tomorrow again:) Computer recycling company, I don't figure can go wrong:)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
So, what computer are we working on with a problem in THIS thread?

And what are we trying to get resolved?
Where do we stand on this?

MossGeek

MossGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
haha ok...I guess I should have specified between the two puters.

123Runner: The tower I am discussing on this thread has a dead motherboard. I have to wait till tomorrow I might be able to get a new/used one from Free Geeks, a computer recycling company in vancouver BC canada. If I can't get one from there to use, I might just go and buy a whole new one. Then I will be reinstalling windows and a few apps.

That puter will strictly just be surfing the internet.

The computer I am on right now is the one that Mike is helping me out after I dl and executed a file that I shouldn't. That thread is right here ..... My other Problem

Sorry for confusing, as is though this thread is still ongoing, but u can close it if u would like. I was just wondering about the reformatting which you have informed me of. Although I won't be able to work further on it until I get the new motherboard. Was just preparing myself for the near future *i hope* haha.