Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Free RAM and free harddrive space

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I am afraid that I have forgotten the simple way to determine the amount of free RAM and the amount of free harddrive space I have on my W98 pc. Can someone please remind me? Thanks.

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The amount of hard drive space, open My Computer, right click on the C: hard drive icon, choose Properties, it will tell you the properties of the hard drive. The amount of free memory, not so easy, but if you right click on My Computer and choose properties it will tell you the total amount of ram. Win98 likes to use about 80mb as base memory, so if it's less than that you can benefit by adding some. Win98 can't see more than 512mb of memory.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Win98 can't see more than 512mb of memory.

Yes it can.
Windows 3.1 can see 512Mb of memory (in theory) so I would be worried if Win98 can't.
Being a 32-bit operating system it will see up to 4Gb of memory. It will fall over past 512Mb but this is easy to circumvent - limit the amount of memory using MSCONFIG.