Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

half start with new memory

• Please log in to reply

memster

memster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have an IBM Netvista 8305 and have been unable to upgrade the RAM memory.

Current I have 2) 256MB and want to replace with: 2) SAMSUNG 1GB PC2700 333MHZ 333 DDR RAM MEMORY

After replacing the memory, as soon as I plug the power cord in, the computer half starts. Which is to say, the fans turn on, there is some other whirring and HD type sounds and one then two then one of the 'on' lights activate but nothing more. The monitor stay blank (it thinks the computer is in sleep mode) and moving mouse and touching keyboard does nothing. The cd players will open but putting in a cd changes nothing.

I have left it like this for about 5 minutes with no change but have been reluctant to try longer.

It also exhibited the same condition with one old and one new memory module. I didn't try this 50/50 config with each new module though.

Does this suggest the new memory is defective or is there something else I should try/consider?

Thanks
Lloyd

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would have the memory checked on another computer to make sure its working. Usually when the computer won't even boot its bad memory causing the problem. Especially if the computer boots with the old memory in it. The Lenovo manual for this computer does not say what specific memory works in it, just that DDR memory must be used, up to 2 gigs. The only processor that used the 333 memory was the AMD series and some Intels up to the 2.4 cpu. Otherwise i would use DDR-400 memory as it is backwards compatible with DDR333 computers. At least i have not had problems using it. Of course,now i am well past using these obsolete computers and, the oldest one i have in daily use uses DDR2 memory.

SRX660

memster

memster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The odd thing is that the computer immediately 'half starts' upon plugging the cord in- without touching the power button.

Lloyd