Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

vista will not load

• Please log in to reply

ekikos

ekikos

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
hey,

i own a hp pavillon 6000 laptop with vista home OS. my problem is when i turn on my laptop it stays on the hp screen where i can press F2 , F10, F11 and so on. i entered the bios setting and check the hard disk and the memory and they are fine. i also tried F11 which is system restore...i selected a check point and the laptop restarted but again froze on the same hp screen. then from the system restore menu i selected advanced options and chose system recovery...to restore the laptop to its factory state. the process finished and the laptop restarted but again it froze on the hp screen. i hope i explained my situation properly. any ideas?

thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Because the system is freezing before windows is even starting to load i think you have a hardware problem. The system is looking for some hardware and not finding it so it cannot continue. Are you unplugging all external devices before trying to boot? I would see if i could get into the BIOS and switch the boot order to the cdrom drive first and then use a regular XP CD to see if you can boot up to the install screen.

The H-P manual says to Boot from CD if there is no response or errors from the HD. Then clear the cmos, and after that replace the hard drive. I would not suggest replacing the HD yourself, unless you know what your doing.

Getting a manual for your computer would be my first step. There is a good troubleshooting section there.

http://h20180.www2.h...amp;submit.y=12

SRX660

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
thanks for your response. all external devices are unplugged. how can the HD be check if it cannot be accessed? do you recommend to try and install xp on it?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I usually will use a "laptop HD to USB" External adapter to see if i can access the drive if i think the drive has gone bad. You can probably have a local shop check the drive for almost free if you pull it out of the laptop and take it to them. The link to the manual does explain how to pull the HD out of the laptop, along with a very good troubleshooting section.

SRX660