Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repairing Windows XP Stuck HELP PLZ!

• Please log in to reply

zkm1223

zkm1223

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi all,

I was doing some stuff on my laptop the other day and all of sudden a blue screen flashed and the laptop rebooted itself. However it didn't get into windows xp because it displayed the following error message:

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

I copied this into google and found out that i needed to repair windows. This way i would be able to keep all my data without losing it. I started to follow this guide:

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

However i got stuck on the third step after i pressed F8 to accept the terms and conditions. Instead of it displaying the screenshot shown in the guide, it displayed this one:

http://www.sumedh.in...tion-format.png

Please can someone help me and tell me how to fix this problem without losing my data on the laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by zkm1223, 02 August 2008 - 08:46 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The only way i know to fix this problem is using testdisk to repair your partition.

http://www.cgsecurit...g/wiki/TestDisk

Heres a test disk step by step tutorial from the testdisk website.

http://www.cgsecurit...sk_Step_By_Step

If you need to you can make a TestDisk live CD to run it.

http://www.cgsecurit...TestDisk_Livecd

SRX660

zkm1223

zkm1223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I can't go into windows so i need help on how to do a repair it because for some reason I'm getting a different screen then the one i should be. thanks anyway

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's very unlikely that you have a 2gb hard drive. My guess is that the MBR is messed up. The MBR is the first sector on the hard drive, and it's very simple to repair. Just type

fixmbr

when the CD goes to the recovery console, and hit Enter. Then follow the prompts.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is it possible that partition C: has only 2 GB?

Before you continue any further please report the specifications of your computer, especially (but not only) partitions and hard disks.

zkm1223

zkm1223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thats not my actual screenshot of mine but it is the same screen that appears only with my hard drive not that 2gb one.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
System Restore from the Recovery Console. {adapted from Geeks to Go. Original source unknown to me}. Xp installation CD required. Boot with the CD and when given the option choose to repair the computer by pressing "R", opening the Recovery Console. Type 1 when asked for OS installation (assuming there is only one OS installed. Type the administrator password when asked to do so and press Enter. Press Enter if there is no password.

* At the prompt Type: CD \
* Press Enter
* Type: cd system~1\_resto~1
* Press Enter
* Type: dir
* Press Enter

After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the Enter key untill you reach the end of the list

* Type: cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list). Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
* Press Enter
* Type: cd snapshot
* Press Enter
* Type: copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
* Press Enter
* Type: copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
* Press Enter
* Type: Exit
* Press Enter

Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

* Type: CD \
* Press Enter
* Type: cd windows\system32\config
* Press Enter
* Type: ren system system.bak
* Press Enter
* Type: Exit
* Press Enter

Your PC should reboot

zkm1223

zkm1223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
please can someone tell me why i am not getting the screen in the guide and how i can get it?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

What is the make and model of your computer and are you using a Recovery/Restore cd that you would get from Dell, HP, Acer, etc?

Murray

zkm1223

zkm1223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi,
i have a dell laptop with 80gb hard drive.
I have used an OEM windows xp pro cd and also the full windows xp pro cd but the same screen keeps appearing and i can't get the screen i need. please can you help me by telling me how to get the screen in the 3rd step of the guide.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The Dell cd will be a no-go regardless as most OEM cd's don't have the repair option.

As for the retail version of XP, try THIS tutorial.

Murray

zkm1223

zkm1223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
this guide tells me the same as the other one and i still get stuck on the same step(the start of part 2 on this guide). however i have tried the same process on my PC to see if i can go onto the repair step where you press R and for some reason i can go onto it on my PC and it works fine. Please can someone tell me how i can go onto that screen on my laptop as it keeps going onto the other screen i posted in my first message. thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
As stated by Murray S. some XP version have the repair options while others do not. The fact that you can "repair" your other computer doesn't mean that you can do it on the laptop. You shouldn't try to force a repair by trying another XP version because: A) The computer will not accept the other version, most probably. B) If it does, you can mess-up your computer completely.

Have you tried to Restore, as I suggested in my previous post?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The screen shot that you are showing is because the Repair function on the CD cannot find any windows to repair. Since we/you know that is not true, those that have responded are trying to get around that problem by other means.
We do not recommend a reformat unless absolutely necessary. We try to "save" the computer and "save" the data.

It is recommended that you follow the suggestions given so that will can resolve the problem.

zkm1223

zkm1223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi,
i have tried the recovery console system restore thingy said by skeptic but for some reason i cannot get "~" button to work when i get into the DOS screen. Please can you tell me how to get it. thanks