Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

correct AVI-file for mp4

• Please log in to reply

pantah

pantah

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I recently bought a mp4-player via eBay. The manual says that video-files should be in AVI-format to be able to play them on the mp4-device. In the folder list, there is a pre-installed video which is indeed in AVI-format and which plays beautifully. However, when I upload an AVI-file to the player, he doesn't seem to recognise it. It is listed in the video-folder, but when I try to play it, I get the message that the file is not correct.
There was also a small disk that came with the player with a AVI-converter program on it, but the disc doesn't work. I contacted the seller of the item with the question if he knew of an alternative for the conversion-program on the disc and he linked me to a site where I could download a converter-program, but as it was downloading, my virusscanner gave a warning for a trojan horse.
I also tried to convert a file to mp4-format, but in that case, the player doesn't recognise the file as a video-file and it is not even listed in the video-folder.

Anyone who can help out please?

Advertisements

pantah

pantah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This topic may be locked. I found a solution using this file

http://learnfree.eu/....54-install.msi

It installs a programs which converts any file to the right format for my "made in China"-mp4

I hope this link may be usefull for other visitors here with the same problem.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Somehow I question that recommendation. A quick search turned up the guide; http://forum.videohe...opic352374.html

pantah

pantah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, before I tried this program, I tried two others and none of them could convert to the right file for my specific player. No dought, of course, there are different types of players and each may have their own specific type of files which needed for being able to play them, but in my case, the one on the link I referred to was the only one that worked. :)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
good to know. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to download it, it took so long to get it. Haven't installed it, but at least it passed the virus scan. So I can say that it worth a try.

pantah

pantah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's free of any virus, that's for sure. I found the link via a French forum where many people suffered the very same problem with the very same mp4-player. If there would be anything wrong with this program, someone there would surely have noticed. I do understand your sceptisism, one can't be too careful these days. I'm not sure about spyware coming with the program though, maybe that's worth checking, but anyway: it works for sure and I can finally use my mp4-player not only for listening to music. :)

Martha A Torres

Martha A Torres

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Download free video converter software for converting avi, wmv, mpeg, mov, vob, dvd, flv, mp4 and other video formats. I think this convert avi to mp4 software should be able to help you, you can try.