Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

downloader.gen.a PLEASE HELP WITH HIJACKTHIS [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

didom

didom

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
Go to start > run and copy and paste next command in the field:

ComboFix /u

Make sure there's a space between Combofix and /
Then hit enter.

This will uninstall Combofix, delete its related folders and files, reset your clock settings, hide file extensions, hide the system/hidden files and resets System Restore again.

This log looks clean!

• Don't forget to re-hide all files and folders. To re-hide all files and folders:
    • Open My Computer.
    • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    • Select the View Tab.
    • Under the Hidden files and folders heading deselect "Show hidden files and folders".
    • Check the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
    • Click Yes to confirm.
    • Click OK.

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

• Turn off System Restore.
      • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
      • Click Properties.
      • Click the System Restore tab.
      • Check "Turn off System Restore".
      • Click Apply, and then click OK.
    • Reboot your computer.
    • Turn ON System Restore.
      • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
      • Click Properties.
      • Click the System Restore tab.
      • UN-Check "Turn off System Restore".
      • Click Apply, and then click OK.
  • This is a good time to set up protection against further attacks. Read the article behind this link "How did I get infected". If you don't already have them, you need an antivirus that is updated, a good firewall for example Kerio Personal Firewall or ZoneLabs Zone Alarm, a spyware blocker like SpywareBlaster and also IE-Spyads and spyware detection (Ad-aware SE and SpyBot S+D). All of these have good free versions available... be very cautious about any security software that advertises in popups or other intrusive ways, they are not only usually useless, but also often have malware in them....

Instead of Internet Explorer, use a different browser like Opera, Mozilla or Firefox.

Last, but not least, you need to keep Windows and Internet Explorer up to date by getting all the latest security patches that protects your computer.

This can be accessed by going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and following the prompts. If you are running Windows XP make sure you get updated to SP-2!!

Please post back if you are still having any problems....

Posted Image

Advertisements

srat

srat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
When we first started you had me install the window recovery console. This is the option screen where you are asked to start xp or the recovery console.

My question is should I still keep that option at the start up or set it back the way it was with only xp starting up?

I would also like to say THANK YOU! THANK YOU! It is nice to know that people like youself are out there for people like me.

If their is something that you would lke me to send you from the U.S. let me know maybe I can get it done for you.

Thank again
Scott

didom

didom

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
You can set it back. There is no need for the recovery console anymore now that you are clean :)

You're very welcome! I am in not in the need for anything from the U.S. this time, but I'll keep it in mind for the future maybe :)

Regards,

Didom

didom

didom

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.