Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Not Posting

• Please log in to reply

bill u

bill u

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I recently added a SATA DVD drive to my 3 year old computer and now all of a sudden when I turn it on nothing appears on my screen. Everything sounds like they're starting (CPU, Fans, and DVD drive), but I get no initial start up beep or anything like that anymore. I`ve also tried starting my computer without the DVD drive and nothing happens as well. If anyone has any suggestions, I`d be grateful. Thanks in advance!! (I`m afraid my aged machine has finally given up the ghost).

Edited by bill u, 03 August 2008 - 12:27 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
List the specs and maybe someone can help you, its really hard to get an idea of what has gone wrong with more info. Depending on what kind of system it is its probably something minor knocked loose or something bigger.

bill u

bill u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Here are some of my specs:

Athlon 3200+
ASUS K8V SE Motherboard
1 GB DDR Ram
2 Western Digital Hard Drives(160GB and 250 GB)

I hope this helps.

bill u

bill u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've since cleared my CMOS and still nothing. I must say that I'm rather perplexed.

bill u

bill u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've cleaned up the components inside my computer and still nothing...anyone have any ideas?

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
What size power supply do you have? The machine might not be getting enough power.

bill u

bill u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I don't think it's the power supply because all the components worked before. Plus, even though I'm adding a DVD drive, I'm subtracting my old DVD drive, a CD drive and a floppy drive. So now there's less for my power supply to power up. I'm beginning to think that my CPU is not working now, but I'm not sure on how to see if it's working...even though the fan is running.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

I don't think it's the power supply because all the components worked before. Plus, even though I'm adding a DVD drive, I'm subtracting my old DVD drive, a CD drive and a floppy drive. So now there's less for my power supply to power up. I'm beginning to think that my CPU is not working now, but I'm not sure on how to see if it's working...even though the fan is running.

CPU overheating?

bill u

bill u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I doubt that too...I have a Zalman 9300 fan on it.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

I doubt that too...I have a Zalman 9300 fan on it.

Try reseating everything.

Advertisements

bill u

bill u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've already tried that one.

bill u

bill u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Does anyone know how I can see if my CPU is running or not?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi Bill,

Have you tried following the instructions in this thread?

Cheers

Troy

bill u

bill u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the reply. Even though my computer is not a new build, I tried the suggestions to see if they'd work...but still nothing beeps and nothing shows up on my screen.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Items needed for POST

COMPONENTS FOR POST