Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue error screens! arrggghhh

• Please log in to reply

kelbelzxx

kelbelzxx

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi there,

Ive been havin a problem wid my pc for about 6mths now but recently its becoming a daily thing and its driving me mad! Im pretty sure its to do with my cd drive, it started of by not playing music cds, it just wasnt reading them atal. It will burn to disc tho. Now all the time i put my pc on then after about 5 min i get the blue error screen saying the computer has had to close down, the first tim i did this i went to the windows recovery thing and burnt the scanner thing to disc to find what the error was but it ran for about 1hr1/2 and still had not found anything, ive tried to disable the cd drive but it still crashes!!! its really doing my head in so any help will be really appreciated!

Kelly :)

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Kelly

Can you make a note of the error code and/or error message on the blue screen please? There may also be a file, device or module listed in the error message (something.VXD for example).

Can you reboot the computer a few times & make a note of the error code/message each time - I need to know if it is the same error everytime or if they differ.

kelbelzxx

kelbelzxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi sam, tanks 4 gettng backto me! iv had to cum on my friends laptop coz my pc wont even come on now but the last error msg i got said the probem was with win32k.sys , il ty get my pc on to note don the error code 4 uxxx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, let me know the error codes when you have them.
Can I just check that you are using Windows ME as stated in your profile?

kelbelzxx

kelbelzxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi sam, no im now using xp, hope thats ok? the last error screen i got didnt have an error number but ill tell u what it said under technical information: ***STOP: 0X0000008E( 0XC0000005, 0X805345DA, 0XB4A68C80, 0X00000000) xx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Hi sam, no im now using xp, hope thats ok?

That's fine but a good job I asked!

Is this the same STOP error code (i.e 0x0000008E) that you get every time or do they vary?

Do you happen to have a floppy disk drive in that computer?

Did you add or change any hardware or software just before the blue screen errors started?

kelbelzxx

kelbelzxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi sam, no im now using xp, hope thats ok?

That's fine but a good job I asked!

Is this the same STOP error code (i.e 0x0000008E) that you get every time or do they vary?

Do you happen to have a floppy disk drive in that computer?

Did you add or change any hardware or software just before the blue screen errors started?

im not too sure if the code is the same, now i want it to crash it wont!! sods law! but ye after i realised my drive would not play cds i tried to update it but that never worked! apart from that i did nothing! and no i dont have a floppy disc. as soon as it crashes again ill post the codes for you xx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, let me know what the error codes are once it starts crashing again.
While I think of it - if this problem has only started recently, it may be idea to try using system restore. Just pick a restore point that's dated just before the problem started & see if that helps. It probably won't but it may be worth a go!

kelbelzxx

kelbelzxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
morning Sam, my pc played up again last nite! managed to get 2 codes for you...

1st

***STOP:0X0000008E, 0XC0000005, 0X0053CA28, 0XB4F26CF0, 0X00000000

2nd

***STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X00040015, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0XF773E441)

***CLASSPNP.SYS- address F773E441 base at F773E000 datestamp 41107ec2

Oh and iv tried to do a system restore and it never works! it always tells me it cannot be done? and these screens have been coming for about 6mths xx

kelbelzxx

kelbelzxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi sam, heres another code for you, its not the same as the others so thought id let ya no it

***STOP: 0X000000D1 (0XF610078C, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0XF68E9E5B

*** USBPORT.SYS- Address f68e9e5b base at f68e3000, datestamp 41107d62

Thankyou xx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok. Think the next step is to check your ram.
Can you follow the link below to download memtest86 please. Download the pre-compiled bootable ISO (zip) format. You can then use this to create a bootable CD containing memtest OR the pre-compiled EXE file for USB key if you prefer.

Memtest86

After creating the CD, you'll need to boot from the CD. This may mean changing the boot order in the bios so that CD comes before Hard disk.
Once booted, memtest will automatically run. Let it run for a few hours. If it finds errors before this point, then you can stop the tests.

If you have any trouble with these instructions, then let me know.

kelbelzxx

kelbelzxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi sam, just to let you no that i ran the memory test for 2 hrs 34 min and it found nothing!! xx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, at least that means the ram should be alright. Faulty memory is one of the most common causes of random blue screen errors so it's good to eliminate that first.

What happens if you try to boot up in safe mode?
To get into safe mode, power on (or reboot) the system. Wait for the memory count to finish & the drives to be detected, then immediately press the F8 key several times (at one second intervals for example) before XP starts to load. This should bring up the boot menu. Select the SAFE MODE option & press the enter key.

Windows will look slightly different in safe mode - don't worry about this, it's perfectly normal. You will find that you can't access the internet etc as well in safe mode. All I want to know is whether you still get the blue screen errors in safe mode...