Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Mouse and Keyboard Problem

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, So here's the problem.

Recently, I was playing WoW when my mouse all of a sudden stopped working a few nights ago, I unplugged and plugged it back in and it worked fine. But, It was moving arond kind of laggily, I shrugged it off and went to bed. The next day I woke up and turned it on, the mouse was moving around very laggily so I restarted, unplugged it and then plugged it back in. None of the two worked and then it said somthing about the USB malfunctioning and that the device wasn't reconginized. So, I restarted again and the same thing happened. THEN, I did what I did last time in order to fix it which was -
Step 1: Turn off computer and unplug the usb mouse & keyboard, and unplug the computer.
Step 2: Hold in the power button for 30 seconds.
Step 3: Turn the computer back on.

And so I did that about, 6 times trying to fix it and it failed to work. The last time I went to turn it on which was on the same day, It loaded up and the mouse and keyboard still failed to work and then after about, 1-2 minutes the screen bluescrens with -

*** STOP:0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80635479, 0xAF12E96C, 0X00000000)

Now, I have a feeling why that might of happened. You seee recently I Restored to factory defaults, And I have this thing called "Sonic" (It's not a virus) And it does this windows installer thing and what not, and it goes through about 5 of them. It never installs either because of somthing not being found, but i've restored to factory defaults before and the same thing happened with sonic. I've deleted it before and it did not bluescreen, But I think it can still be a possibility. So, I restarted again and noticed that the lights for the keyboard were on somewhat.

The main thing that I need help with though is my mouse and keyboard becasue I think I know how to fix the error.

What I have tried -
Tried using different USB slots
Tried restarting
Tried the 3 step plan I mentioned earlier on in the post

I doubt it's a problem with the mouse/keyboard, But I'm still not sure.

Thanks in advance, I hope one of you can help me D:.

EDIT: The computer is a Dell XPS 400 and I've had it since 2005ish.

Edited by hhhhhh, 03 August 2008 - 01:30 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Could it possibly be that my USB drivers for both my mouse and keyboard are messed up?