Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player 9

• Please log in to reply

Geoff Myers

Geoff Myers

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ever since I upgraded to Windows Media Player 9 I have had a really annoying problem and it is getting worse. I am a race car fan and often go to web sites with large librarys of Mpeg files to view I will launch a link and watch it sucessfully I go back to the web page and try to launch another Mpeg, nothing will happen so I then have launch "Task Manager" go to "Processes" and stop Windows Media Player. When I go back to the links on the web page and the next clip will play, but if I want to play another I often have to go through the shutting down media player routine first!
The same thing happens if I am selecting clips from folders on my hard drive one set will play I select a different set and have to kill WMP9 in task manager before they will play.
This problem is getting so bad I even tried uninstalling Windows Media Player using Add Remove Programs and the add and remove windows component section, but seems it cannot be removed! everytime I think I have done it I launch a movie file and there is my faulty version of Media Player9! it's driving me nuts has anyone else had this problem? and how do I fix it please!

ps is Windows Media Player 10 any better?
Many thanks in advance
Geoff Myers

Edited by Geoff Myers, 30 April 2005 - 04:54 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I had problems with WMP and followed some advice (don't remember if it was tech support for HP a long time ago, or some forum) to go to ad/remove programs, remove it (Windows components in XP) and then re-install it. This fixed my problem. You may want to go to micorsoft and download the latest codecs for WMP, as this could be the cause. I was using WMP10, but didn't like it. I chose to roll back to WMP9 and I am using it without any problems. :tazz:

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*

is Windows Media Player 10 any better?

View Post

:tazz: I like it much better. It works great, and I really like all the different radio sites you can visit. Some media files also need the new version to play correctly.