Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to load os

• Please log in to reply

tony117

tony117

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hello, hope you can help. went to install windows xp pro (a copy), and i keep getting no hard drive detected. went into bios, all is set on auto. this is a first build, so i'm a
novice and don't know too much. used fairly cheap parts for the build, is there a problem with the m/b (biostar k8m800),or am i doing something wrong. when i first fired
this up, i put a restore copy on it to get it working, it worked. let it sit for about 2 months, got it out and fired it up to put the xp pro on it, and this is what i get. any help
would be greatly appreciated. thank you, tony

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Are you using a SATA drive or an IDE drive?
If SATA, you need to load the sata drivers with the f6 key when asked.

In the bios, is a HD detected?

tony117

tony117

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
am using sata, tried a diff plug on m/b--no diff
bios is detecting hard drive

gator325

gator325

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
sure the problem does not have something to do with the XP Pro being a copy?

tony117

tony117

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
don't know. can i try the restore disc that i have, i know thats good.
i have 3 options on start up, install os, restore, or quit. do i install the restore in the os mode, or the restore mode. i know its a dumb question, i would think restore
mode. but like i stated, i'm very new at this, trying it as a hobbie. thank you for your help.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
What do you mean by "a copy"?? You do realize that if this disc isn't your own purchased copy, with your own purchased key... that it's not legal?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

used fairly cheap parts for the build

Is this a new build? (All new components)?
If so then the restore CD is specific to the prior computer you had. It will not work correctly for this build. That means it has all the software and board specific drivers.
What computer did the restore CD come from? HP, Compaq, Dell?

The XP cd (copy). Where did it come from? Is it legal (probably not if its a copy).
Is there a license key with it?

If SATA, you need to load the sata drivers with the f6 key when asked.

. After XP loads some software, it will ask if you need to load extra drivers. This is where you hit f6 and install the sata drivers so the CD will find a hard drive.

tony117

tony117

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes, new build
copy is with keys
does not get to point were it asks for f6 input
it starts to install then the h/d issue comes up
i have a new vista disc that came with my new laptop(gateway), but this m/b does not work with vista
understand now about the restore disc, its from a gateway(all my putes are gateway)
its looking like i have an os issue and not a component issue, correct??
thank you for your help

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Where did you get the HD from?
Is it new? Previously used?
What is the manufacturer?

I would completely wipe it using DBAN (in signature), Then try the install.

tony117

tony117

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
h/d is new western digital 40g from tiger direct
do not know how to do what you suggested

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Go to the DBAN site and download the program. It will run from floppy or CD or flash stick. The Cd is an iso image so you have to burn the iso to the cd with a program like nero. Actually I use a little program called "burncdcc".

This will wipe the disk with 1 and 0's.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I do not think DBAN will help this situation. To answer your question, it seems as though you're having an OS problem. You need to get a proper version of Windows XP (as you have said Vista is not an option) to install.

Either a retail or OEM version of XP will do the trick nicely. Just remember that while the OEM one is cheaper, it will be tied to this build - but the retail version can be put on another new computer down the track (as long as the old one is wiped).

As has been mentioned, you cannot use the "restore" version cd or key from the Gateway computer, this is tied to that computer and that computer only. If it blows up, then out goes your XP key with it...

Troy

tony117

tony117

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank you all again for your help. i understand better now about the os. i'll get xp and try to install, and will let you know how it turns out.
thanks again, and everyone have a nice day. tony