Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Directory vanished!

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a hard drive that I have divided into three partitions. Drive C: is the operating system, Win XP; Drive V: is for assorted games; and Drive Z: is for office applications and things pertaining to work. On Drive V: I have a file labeled Demos which I use to put game files in that are demos that I've downloaded from the internet. Each one of the demos has it's own file in the demo directory. I probably had a dozen demos or so which translates to about 5 gigs of files.

Anyway, this morning I was playing one of the demos and when I finished I decided to uninstall the game using it's uninstall program. The game seemed to uninstall normally but later, when I went back to find another game I discovered that the entire demo file had vanished. And along with it all of the demo games. I still have the shortcuts for the games on the start menu but it can't find the .exe file that it's pointing to. I did manage to find several of the game files by using the "unerase wizard" in the recycle bin. But no luck with the rest of them. I have even run a search for the files but nothing shows up.This is not a grave situation and I could probably reconstruct the games that I lost but I wold like to know under what circumstances Windows would arbitrarily delete a file. Has anybody else had a similar problem?