Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

want to format the computer

• Please log in to reply

Hkimle

Hkimle

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi,
my computer is running slow recently and i really want to format it but don't know how. can anyone tell me pls? it's kinda like i want to make it become a "new" computer again with nothing on it, reinstall win XP again and reinstall all the stuffs on my computer again.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Hkimle

Before you proceed with a format I strongly advise doing the following :)

To rule out any spyware issue I reccomend for you to head to our malware removal forum which is here also before you post a log please read this post here
We are unable to assist with any form of malware removal in this forum, please post your problem in the malware forum where our experts will be more than happy to assist you.

You may want to also take a look at the list of Anti-Virus and Anti Spyware tools which are here

They can also help in there with regards to speeding up your computer such as removing unwanted items and such so I reccomend going there first before proceeding with a format :)

Regards

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you want a fresh start there is no need to go thru the malware forum...
use the restore partition or the restore cd and reinstall it like they day you bought it...
BUT with that said scan all your data files that you have burnt to cd/dvd's or external drive BEFORE you move them back to the clean install...

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
hello happyrck

The only reason I reccomended the user to goto the malware forum is because sometimes people want to format as they have malware installed and I see a format as overkill. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
as wizzy2k5 pointed out...It could be overkill

but I just focused on this part...

it's kinda like i want to make it become a "new" computer again with nothing on it,

and after this any... malware is gone

Hkimle

Hkimle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
thanks both of you for replying.

yup, i really want a fresh start like happyrck said, but anyway thanks for wizzy2k5's advice on removing the malware ^^

happyrck, can you tell me in details how to refresh my computer? thanks (i've already scan and copy all my data files to an external drive like u said)

Edited by Hkimle, 04 August 2008 - 01:33 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have a restore partition or a restore cd that came with the computer when you bought it...

Hkimle

Hkimle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
nope. i used the keyfinder posted in the repair forum for win xp & know that the version in my computer is Home Edition, i have the CD Home Edition SP2.