Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows update [Error number: 0x800700E7]

• Please log in to reply

ryanmichaelcosta

ryanmichaelcosta

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I had a virus so I just decided to format the comp. After doing so I went to update the computer and keep getting a error message [Error number: 0x800700E7]. I have also noticed in my task manager that I have 4 svchost.exe and a WUSB54GC that shoot my CPU usage from anwhere from 5-100 %.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When you say you formatted, did you actually format the hard drive before reinstalling? That should remove anything causing any problems. Also what version of XP was it, did it include any of the service packs? This is important because the base XP would have trouble accessing some websites. The first thing you might want to do is go to the Microsoft download site and update Internet Explorer and also get ActiveX updated, these are needed for some Microsoft sites. If you can't get the update for IE that way you can download on another computer and burn it to disk and run it from the disk. The same for ActiveX.

ryanmichaelcosta

ryanmichaelcosta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
actually I should say I did a non destructive restore to factory settings. I was going to format but didnt feel like losing everything so I did the restore. Not a restore from the start menu but from the start-up screen. Where I had to install software for drivers again etc

Edited by ryanmichaelcosta, 03 August 2008 - 10:43 PM.