Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista shut downs, probably overheating.

• Please log in to reply

jimmysonmycream

jimmysonmycream

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
This is my friends computer, it's excellent almost the best in everything. He built it off a website where it tells you the parts to order and you put it together yourself. Forget the website name but, he spent more than 2000 dollars. So it's pretty nice. It's super fast. It was going great up until a few weeks ago, when it just started powering off. Had the same thing happen to my Xp, caused obviously by overheating. We took off the side cover, and there is like ZILCH dust inside, since he's only had it for what, a month or two? So there wasn't really much to clean out, and even leaving the side cover off has proved still to cause it to shut down, mostly while playing a high quality game, most usually Civilizations 4. After opening it up, the hard drive is like.. burning. This can't be normal, lol.. but how does it heat up so fast and not cool down. There are three fans on the inside, and the cpu is completely cool so its not that that is overheating. So... I can give system information, and everything, but anyone else had any problems like this? I wouldn't expect a $2000 computer to heat up so fast, but is it possible to have not correctly installed something? Idk, I mean it came with exact instructions so everything seems alright.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP35-DS3R
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F2, 1/4/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.00 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.17 GB
Available Virtual Memory 7.06 GB
Page File Space 4.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Would you like me to post a hijackthis? Seems unlikely but virus I guess could be possible. Any solutions would be great. Tell me if more info is needed.

Advertisements