Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extremely slow wireless connection.

• Please log in to reply

kittiez

kittiez

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I just got this new laptop and it was mentioned that it had "Bluetooth" and new graphics card / processor / upgraded hard drive.

The thing is..my wireless connection is 1 kb/sec - 6 kb/sec. I used to have 200 - 500 kb/sec.

My cellphone has a bluetooth function, so if that's what I need to disable then I'll do that but I want to know the way to re-enable it if that's the case.

Nothing else is slow and it's brand new. I have only installed Firefox.

My dxdiag is attached.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My wireless is fine on my other laptop, if you need to know.

Thank you!

Excuse this thread, I have fixed it. I'm sorry everyone!

Attached Files

Edited by kittiez, 04 August 2008 - 08:57 AM.

Advertisements

kittiez

kittiez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I can't go back and edit that post. It won't let me backspace or anything in the box.

Anyways, it's actually not fixed. That one download had worked, and I'm not sure why but I'm back down to low speeds..

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It would have been nice if you explained how you fixed this problem. Good information for other people new to using wireless networks.

SRX660

kittiez

kittiez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
What made it work for a second was that I disabled the bluetooth devices in device manager. For a second, my 600 kb/sec was back and it was while downloading a different file. Now it's back to 6 kb/sec and the devices are still disabled. I don't know what's going on.

I was just coming back because I remembered I should have said what I did, and set up a download before then when I realized it wasn't actually fixed so I'm kind of glad because I would have mislead a lot of people.

To fix it permanently, I reset my router and upgraded the firmware.

Edited by kittiez, 04 August 2008 - 01:37 PM.