Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

is this a video or ram problem?

• Please log in to reply

alicety

alicety

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer of 2 years recently lost its cmos battery or I replaced it. but still my computer has been acting strange.
I already reinstall the ami bios and windows but it still gives
during boot, No video input. And then after a while, it'll be able to boot.
During this time, it'll give some random error, sometimes the bad_system_config, sometimes stop 0x74, sometimes page_sys
but if I keep reseting, it'll eventually boot to windows xp.
But when using xp, it'll randoming restart
I've tried taking out the ram (2x512mb) one at a time, but pc still gives random error.
which is the most possible reason for error?

thanks

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
That error usually means bad ram but its hard to believe you would have 2 bad sticks but its possible.

When you replaced the battery did you load the bios defaults? if not go into bios and try it or try it again and make sure you save when you exit.

If that don't work then run memtest on each stick of ram individually.

Rick

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
Tried to post this yesterday but there was some glitch in the system!
Basically, Doby is right so I'm repeating a lot of what he's said but [bleep], I went to the trouble of writing this yesterday so I'm gonna post it away!!

Start by checking that the CPU & RAM clock speeds (FSB) are correct. Set any ram or performance related settings to default or fail-safe. Alternatively, you may want to reset all the bios settings back to default/fail safe.

First thing to eliminate is the RAM as this is the most likely cause.
Download memtest from this link (select the floppy disk option v1.55) :
http://www.memtest.org/

Create a bootable floppy using the memtest utility (read the readme.txt first that comes with it)
Remove one of the ram sticks, boot from floppy & run memtest. Then swap the sticks over & run again. NB if one of the sticks fails, it may be that the ram socket itself is faulty instead or the stick. If the first stick passes ok, then remove it & place the second stick in a different socket)