Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vista won't boot windows after SP1 update

• Please log in to reply

wilson419

wilson419

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello and thank you to anyone taking the time to read this over!

Here is my problem:

As of last night, I have not been able to boot up windows since I downloaded (using the auto-updater) the new Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1 install, and restarted per the prompt. I do not get an error message specifically telling me what the problem is beyond “Your computer was unable to start”, but my Acer Aspire 5920 laptop just will not boot into the Vista Home Premium OS, instead it loads a “Startup Repair” program and endlessly loops the progress bar at the “attempting repairs” stage. I let “Startup Repair” program run all night last night, for 20+ hours or so, and it never changed nor resolved the problem.

This afternoon, I sat on the phone with Microsoft tech support for about 3 hours, and we tried all the tricks to get around the “issue,” ranging from all the F2, F8, and F10 options such as safe boot, restore to last known good configuration, etc but to no avail. The restore in fact endlessly looped too and after 30min of waiting for it to take effect, the tech gave up and said there were no more advanced trouble shooting options available from his position to suggest. I continued to let the restore run for another 30min or so after getting off the phone with Microsoft, just in case, but it just looped the progress bar and did nothing anyways.

In the end, the tech said that the only option he had left for me was to have me call Acer America and order the two “Reinstallation Upgrade Disc(s).” I am not sure what those are exactly, unless they are just the OS on disc, because I received no physical operating system disc with my laptop upon purchase. Acer tells me there is a charge to procure the discs the Microsoft tech is suggesting. With that said his suggestion is to then use them to create a partition on my hard drive with a newly loaded Vista OS, then collect whatever personal data and files I can from the old non-functioning Vista OS and transfer them in.

Here is my dilemma:

Acer charges $1-soemthing per minute for their tech support, furthermore all the customer service people had to say when I described the suggestion from Microsoft was that they were not sure how this was going to work. The Microsoft tech said he would walk me through it free (since apparently Vista SP1 is having a number of problems atm). So I opted out of talking to the Acer tech department, but if I go the Microsoft tech support way I will still have to drop the $26 on the discs in question, wait for however long it will take to receive them via mail, hope that the Microsoft tech knew what he was talking about, and go through them to do the partition reload.

In the end, I am getting screwed by a crappy Microsoft software update, paying money I don’t have, waiting in the interim, and hoping for a solution which will put me right back at possibly having Vista working, and possibly having some of my files, but having to reload all my software, etc. This seams like a huge pain in the butt. If anybody has a suggestion I would greatly appreciate it and really want to thank whomever takes the time to respond in advance. If you require more information just ask and I will do my best to get it.

THANKS!

PS. I really don't want to have to resote my laptop to the factory defaults and lose everything, if that is the case I am seriously considering reformatting my hard drive and installing XP instead, (which I have a copy of), although the Acer people say that my laptop may not function properly because of driver issues with my hardware being setup to run Vista, errr, but that is my last resort I guess.

Edited by wilson419, 04 August 2008 - 07:49 PM.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download

http://neosmart.net/...oblitz-no-serve