Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FIXMBR reports MBR not standard but new version fails

• Please log in to reply

TerryL

TerryL

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
This is a follow on to an earlier topic, but with the latest information.

Bascically my desktop gets as far as the Welcome to Windows screen, the disk activity stops, then about a minute later starts re-booting. I have tried repairing Windows XP using my installation disk and although it went to completion the PC still would not go beyond the W to W screen.

CHKDSK /r reports no problems.

I have tried FIXMBR from Recovery Console: it comes up with a mesage stating the MBR is non-standard, I create a new one, but the computer will still not go beyond the Welcome to Windows screen.

Can anyone suggest what I should try next?

Cheers and thanks in advance for any help.

Terry

Advertisements

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Have you tested the ram? You can test the ram with memtest86+

bad ram tends to be a common factor when loading Windows or Application. Could also be a bad disc or maybe a motherboard.

Start with the ram and disc and go from there. :)

Also, a list of specs would help. :)

Edited by FadeToBright, 05 August 2008 - 07:25 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you are getting a Windows Splash Screen then you are getting further than the bootloader located in the MBR.

Can you get in to safe mode?

TerryL

TerryL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
A bit of background may help here.

I ran a Super Antispyware scan on my laptop and had EXACTLY the same problem as I'm now having on my desktop - I ran a scan on that as well some time afterwards.

I eventually used the PC Recovery disks to get my laptop working but I'm still having problems - I'm raising another topic on that today under the heading "Unable to use Recovery Console". Might be worth looking at that to see if it gives any further clues?

To answer the questions above I ran the scan and was then unable to get into Windows. I tried going back to last known good configuration and getting into Safe Mode but everything failed.

It seems I've got an unusual problem and I'm wondering if I eventually need to resort to getting some hand-on help? I've heard bad reports of so-called PC Doctors - any recommendations? I'm based in South Manchester - UK.

Geeks to Go have always solved previous problems so I'm staying with in the hope that something may trigger what has gone wrong.

Cheers, and thanks for keeping me going.

Terry

TerryL

TerryL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I've cured my laptop problem by using PC Recovery but still have a desktop that just loops when trying to boot up.

As both problems (desktop and laptop) immediately followed a Super Antispyware scan I am certain that that is where the root of the problem lies, and that something has been created/writtten/deleted that is causing this very starnge problem.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Can you get in to safe mode?

If so, have you tried a restore?
Do you have a XP cd so you can go into recovery console and try a restore from there.