Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about multiple displays on Geforce 8800GT

• Please log in to reply

Artimecion

Artimecion

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
A bit of strange question, which I don't believe has been asked elsewhere.

Basically, I upgraded my graphics card from an 8600 to an 8800 (Xpertvision 8800gt, 512mb) to get a bit of a graphics boost and to have more graphic memory. the 8600 had two DVI outputs and so was easy to connect to my HD TV. However, the 8800 has a HDMI, a SVIDEO and a DVI output.

Now, my TV doesn't accept a PC input in anything other than it's VGA port (if I use HDMI, the static noise is unbearable) so what I've had to do is use the HDMI output to my monitor and the DVI to the TV. (HDMI-DVI for the monitor DVI-VGA for the TV)

Now, this is all fine in a windows environment as I can use the control panel to force the HDMI connection to be monitor 1 and the dVI to be monitor two. However, when booting up etc, the picture obviously only displays on my TV until Windows has loaded.

Now, my TV is only used as a second monitor for viewing videos etc and so is never on to see the boot screens etc so I'd love to know if there was a way to force the card to use the HDMI as the primary output and DVI as the secondary output so that my monitor displays all the boot-time messages etc.

I guess this is more a minor annoyance rather than anything else, but if this is a way to make this change, then I'd love to hear suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

byrddawg

byrddawg

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I recently did the same thing. I went from BFG 8600gts to 8800gt. My motherboard has an extra PCI-e slot so I left the 8600 in for my second and third monitor. So far they work together flawlessly.

If you have a second PCI-e slot, you might try it. BOth cards I believe will use the same driver.