Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

re-partioning or re-naming hard drive

• Please log in to reply

ccassel

ccassel

• Pip
  • 0 posts
Hello,

I could use some advice about my new laptop. It has 350 G of space but is partitioned so that "C" is 30G and "D" is 188G. "C" has only 6.5G free space since all prgrams and apps were pre-loaded there. Since the system boots off the "C" drive, shouldn't "C" have the most space allotted? How do I re-partition or re-name the drives to correct this? I tried moving folders that didn't need to boot off of "C" but got a message that 7 .dat or .dat.log files couldn't be copied. I'm stumped and could use your help before "C" drive is full.

Thanks in advance, Cindy

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You will not be able to change the drive letters without reinstalling windows. However you can use something like Gparted to merge the partitions. Any time something like this is done you are running a risk of losing all the data on the computer. Backup all your data and defrag both partitions. If you descide you want to go this route I can give you further instructions.

Typically, it is good practice to install your programs and keep your data on a separate partition than your OS.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What you are trying to do is very risky, moving the system files to another partition. I would not do that. You can enlarge the C: partition but you must completely delete the D: partition first. Move everything that belongs on C: back to it, back up all your user files to another external drive, go into disk management, completely delete the D: partition, then enlarge the C: partition as much as you want. Even this is a risky process so be repaired for a possible re-installation. Deleting the D: partition will also remove any partitions after it.