Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processors

• Please log in to reply

kwasi

kwasi

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I was wondering how you determined which are better. For example I thought it was by GHz but I also thought Core 2 Duo was better than an old Celeron but one of my computers has "Intel Celeron 2.20 GHz 2.20 GHz" listed in System Properties(Windows Key+Pause/Break) but another has "Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 Ghz 1.86 GHz" listed.

So can anyone explain which is better, why, and how to know.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
The Core 2 Duo is much MUCH better then the Celeron chip. The Core 2 Duo is dual core CPU, which has two cores and both cores run at 1.86GHz, with a combined speed of 3.72GHz, 1.52GHz faster then the Celeron. Also, the Core 2 Duo will far out perform the Celeron because the technology is newer and better (in my understanding, at least.)

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
So would a Core 2 Quad 2.0 GHz really be 8.0 GHz?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

So would a Core 2 Quad 2.0 GHz really be 8.0 GHz?

No, it doesn't work that way.
It means you have 4 cores running at 2.0GHz, it is not combined.
It is the reason some people say that a Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz is better than Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz because its not just about the cores, its also about the speed (especially for those that uses stock).

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok, thanks.

Another question, would an upgrade to Pentium 4 from Celeron 2.20 GHz make a noticeable difference?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Ok, thanks.

Another question, would an upgrade to Pentium 4 from Celeron 2.20 GHz make a noticeable difference?

Significantly. Especially if its to a Core 2 Duo.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I think you misread that one a bit Neil. I believe the OP is asking about an upgrade from a 2.2ghz Celeron to a Pentium 4. In this case, assuming the Celeron is Pentium 4 based (as the OP referred to it as "old"), a Pentium 4 of similar or higher speed will show a boost in single-threaded applications. However, you won't see too much of an improvement in programs designed to utilize 2 or more CPU cores, such as modern games or video/audio encoding applications. Also, in your everyday computer use (internet browsing, office applications), you wouldn't notice any difference.

This relates back to your original question. An application that is programmed to only use one CPU core will run just as well on a 2.4ghz single-core CPU, a 2.4ghz dual-core CPU, or a 2.4ghz quad-core CPU, assuming all other variables are the same. However, an application that is designed to use two CPU cores will run much better on a 2.4ghz dual-core CPU compared to the 2.4ghz single-core CPU, again assuming all other variables are the same. Those other variables are things like Front Side Bus and Cache, and newer processors typically have an advantage in both of these things. There are also differences in things like architecture and instruction sets, which is why although an AMD Phenom may look good on paper, they are easily bested by Intel's Core 2 lineup.