Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cat 5...

• Please log in to reply

AndrewC3

AndrewC3

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Can someone explain to me (if any), what is the difference between a cat 5, cat 5e and cat 6 cable is? I've looked in various computer books but didn't seem to find an answer. Thanks.

Andrew

Advertisements

Alan87i

Alan87i

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Try here http://www.broadband.../caandcaco.html

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
CAT 5 supports speeds of up to 100MB/s

CAT 5e supports speeds of up to 1000MB/s

CAT 6 is more or less than same as CAT 5e but is supposed to get less interference from things such as a florescent lights.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
All good answers, I would just like to add to them. With CAT 5e and CAT 6 they support the same 1000 speed. But the internal differences can be big. Ethernet cables are called twisted pairs. This way they have 8 cables twisted together in 4 pairs. Each pair is twisted at a different rate, which makes them have different twists per inch. Now the twists themselves create their own frequency of interference so different twists per inch limit the interference on the line or crosstalk.

CAT 6 does a better job because it has more twists in it than CAT 5e. But nowadays you can buy so many variations that a supped up shielded 5e can be better than a non-shielded 6. Here is an Example of high end 5e. This is much better than a standard 6 cable.

No matter what you run it is still only 100 meters max between devices.