Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vista 64-bit won't recognise my External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

dylanesque

dylanesque

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there, my first post here and I'm not fully sure what I'm talking about so please bear with me:

I'd been using an old Dell running Windows 2000 professional for years, but I'd backed everything up on a Western Digital My Book Premium Edition 400GB external hard drive a few years back (WDG1C4000E). I just stuck the USB cable in the back of the laptop and transferred data over - no messing around with the one-touch button back-up software on the E-HDD or anything, all manual. This turned out to be good fortune as my laptop died a slow painful death in June.

I've just bought a new laptop - from Rizeon in the UK, but the equivalent of a Sager 5971 - with Vista Ultimate 64-bit (and all of the trimmings).

However, I've just tried to connect the WD external drive and Vista immediately wants to locate drivers/software for the "Unknown Device". And it doesn't find any. So nothing appears in "My Computer". There's nothing obvious to download from the WD website.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do from here? I have no interest in the backup software that comes with the hard-drive - I manually transferred data across and just want to access it again. It contains hundreds of photos and my entire iTunes library of 16,000+ songs. So please help!

Thank you,
David

Advertisements