Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

changing default folder name in Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I am using Windows XP Pro. I want to change the name of the default folder, but each time I try, it says that this is a system folder and cannot be changed or moved. (I attach shot). I do not mean to change the name in the registry of the owner...that is okay; but even when I go to User Accounts, and change from Administrator to "Paul"- that is okay; but does not change the default folder from the previous name. Any way around this?

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenHunter_002.jpg

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
When you change the name in User Accounts, it just changes the name that's shown, it doesn't change the folder name on the disk. This is normal behaviour. You would have to make a new account and move stuff across to it if you don't want the old account any longer.

JJPetek

JJPetek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I currently started working at a new software development firm, and the computer still has the same folder name as the last person that used this computer. I want to change it for network administrative reasons.

Is there an easier way to do this without creating a new user and then moving everything over? I have a lot of development programs that I use that have to be in perfect. Is there a program out there that will make moving everything over easier or at least change the folder name without all that hassle?

Thank you for your help and time...