Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CTRL ALT DEL Doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

Trish

Trish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello.....when I hold down CTRL ALT DEL, nothing happens. I have even tried using the on-screen keyboard...I have done a full virus scan, but there was no infections...does any one have any clue????....I am running XP Pro with SP2...

Thanks,
Trish

Advertisements

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Try switching back and forth from the login type. The C-A-D screen comes up differnt. Just a guess.

Hello.....when I hold down CTRL ALT DEL, nothing happens. I have even tried using the on-screen keyboard...I have done a full virus scan, but there was no infections...does any one have any clue????....I am running XP Pro with SP2...

Thanks,
Trish

View Post

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
did you check those keys one by one to make sure they work indivitually? Have you tried another keyboard? If the keys and keyboard are good I suspect some kind of malware.

Trish

Trish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I think you may be right...it is Malware...or something else...I restarted to safe mode and CTRL ALT DEl worked ok...I then ran Ad-aware and Spybot, but they didn't come up with anything (only a few cookies)

When turning on my computer.....after windows loads...I get a 'setup box' coming up saying that something is ready to be installed....I had a look at the startup in msconfig, and it says it is a program called p2pnetwork.exe and it is in the system32 folder in windows...However when I go to that folder, the file isn't there.

Then, in my shared folder are about 200 winzip files...all 400kb each. I delete them, but if I restart, they come back.

Does anyone have any other opinions????? Or can someone tell me the best way to remove malware???

Thanks,
Trish

Dark Pheonix

Dark Pheonix

• Pip
  • 6 posts
wow that is exactly what is happening to me right now... ive tried to delete those same files a couple times and i alsp get the installer upon boot up, if you figured out how to fix plz leave a reply or if anyone else knows.. i also ran different spyware/malware detectors and nothing showed up

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Trish, dark phoenix

multiple issues, including quite probably what is called a rootkit infection

(program hides from the Windows API)

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

dark phoenix, please start your own thread, though