Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help on reformatting XP

• Please log in to reply

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Sony Vaio user here.

Well, I'm encountering LOTS of problems with my computer now as it's almost touched its 3 year old birthday and it's cluttered with ALL sorts of junk. I'm clear of viruses but it just can't run lots of programs..

So, well...

In a topic here it says I need my motherboard manufacturer's disc... I don't have it as I bought it along as OEM...

Also, do I really need all my driver's drivers? If so, then can someone assist me on finding them? I can provide a list of devices, .. wait. I don't know how to do so :)

Please, I have not had any experience with reformatting computers before, so if you would help, thanks a lot.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
You can usually download drivers from Sony's website. If you post the model # of your computer, I can probably find them for you. You'll also need a Windows CD, XP Home or Pro, whichever version you're running. From there you just boot to the CD and run the Windows setup.

Edited by jt1990, 06 August 2008 - 08:52 AM.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Oh, you need the model? K sure, it's VGN-FJ57GP.

Anyway, other than the driver part I think I know what to do. Just need a bit of help on finding the drivers..

.. and a bit of guidance as of how does reformatting work. :) Thanks.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
All you need to do is to go to www.sony.com and under the support tab, select download drivers. From there you can put in that model number and it will list the drivers.

Now, make sure you have these downloaded first because after your format you more than likely wont have an internet connection until you install the drivers. I usually put them on a flash driver or burn them onto a cd, as windows will have native support for the cd drive after a format.

Tips on formatting are, when you proceed with this, all of your data will be removed permanently from the computer. If there is anything you need, make sure you take a backup of it and put it on an external drive, another computer or cds.
Before formatting make sure you have your product key available. This should be a sticker on the outside or bottom of the laptop with the version of windows and the product key.

Once you have this, boot from the windows install disk, and follow the prompts to install windows. Once you are at the screen that shows your hard drive and partitions, remove all of them and do a fresh install. After that windows takes care of everything else.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Ok. Thanks both of you. :)

I'll start reformatting now, and if I have any other questions I'll post back to this topic.

Thanks once again :)

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Ok,

I tried reformatting with a Windows XP CD and it didn't work - the CD had corrupt files and my computer was in a really bad state (not being able to load pages and all) so I took out a CD I burned a month ago for Ubuntu and installed it.

Now, I'm stuck with Ubuntu and have no games..

I need another Windows XP CD..

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Can you contact the mfg for a windows disk.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Ok, I'll try to do so. Will update you guys on it. :)