Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disabling RAID array

• Please log in to reply

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
This isn't actually causing me a problem, other than inconvenience, but I disabled the RAID via device manager.

Now, whenever I boot up, Windows informs me it's found new hardware and wants to install it.

It only takes a couple of seconds to hit Cancel but is there a way I can permanently stop this from happening?

Presumably from fiddling around in the BIOS??????

All suggestions will be gratefully received.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You are very lucky that you did not lose all your data. You need to reinstall your RAID drivers. If you wish to not use RAID anymore then you will need to reinstall Windows because once the RAID set is actually "broken" all data on the RAID set is lost.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Well thanks for that.

I have now re-enabled the RAID drivers and haven't lost anything.

Under what circumstances would this type of action casue a loss of data?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Under what circumstances would this type of action casue a loss of data?

Under any circumstance. If you want to get rid of a RAID set all data on that RAID set will be lost. The deletion of the drivers for the RAID controller could have easily caused Windows to become unbootable which in turn would have led to data loss as the Windows is only OS that will be able to adjust data on the RAID set. This is the major downfall of fakeRAID (onboard).

If you really want to get rid of the RAID set you could make an image from a Acronis free trail, break the RAID set, then restore the image.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I think the best action is to leave well alone.

It's not causing me any grief and the small amount of overhead it consumes should be negligible.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What type of RAID set is it?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you want to permanently stop the message reinstall the Raid driver. If the Raid gives you any message at bootup and you want to stop the message, uncheck Raid in Start Menu in msconfig.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Just to go back a step - I never had a RAID setup, I was simply trying to eliminate the one and only yellow question mark in Device Manager. which happened to be the RAID device.

So I disabled it from D/M, after which I was getting prompts at every bootup to install the new hardware detected.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you didn't 't need a Raid you could leave the yellow question mark. If you wanted to eliminate the question mark you should have installed the RAID driver, not delete it from Device Manager. Just install it now and see what happens.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yep :) All sorted - thanks mate!!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.