Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista and USB pen drive data corruption

• Please log in to reply

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:) I recently had to spend £25 on a pen drive data recovery utility following data corruption on my USB flash memory sticks.

I'm religious about stopping USB devices before unplugging them, but I note that even if you follow this proceedure on Vista, the green LED on the flash drive remains on, where on XP stopping the device would turn the LED off.

Following this data corruption, I am now wary about relying on my USB flash drives as part of my back up routine.

Has anyone else experienced similar data loss/corruption - specifically on Vista, even after stopping the devices correctly?

Many thanks

Dave B. - Linuxwannabee :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All flash media only have an finite life before the solid state memory wears out. Depending on the age of your device and the amount of use it has had, it may have just decided that now was the time to go.

An alternative to stopping USB devices is to shut the machine down totally before you unplug anything.

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:) Actually, the device in question was my most recent purchase (a 4GB) drive bought less than a year ago. So I don't think age is the issue, nor usage - I copied my files by way of back up and it was only when I attempted to copy the files back one time, that I realised corruption had occurred.

As far as shutting down my pc altogether is concerned, yes I'd thought about that too now.

But seems to detract from the so called 'hot swapable' market hype about USB devices.

Never mind - do back up is bullet proof - I've even burnt data CDs before today, which I was later unable to rely on - even though they were fine for a little while. Bottom line it seems to me - 'Don't believe the hype'.

Technology promises a great deal - and delivers some of it - at a price.

How many hours do we spend trying to fix things. If it's a master-slave relationship, I'd say the computers are winning!! :)

Dave B - Linuxwannabee