Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Building CPU

• Please log in to reply

kwasi

kwasi

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I want to get a new CPU for my computer but I'm not sure what will fit in the spot where my old one is.

I currently have a Gateway Thrasher Motherboard.

I need to know if all microATX motherboards fit the same even though they are different dimensions (like say a new board is longer but the bolts are in the same place just with excess). Also just because it fits does it mean it is compatible with my computer.

Edited by kwasi, 06 August 2008 - 06:36 PM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Lemme get this straight - are you looking for a new board? A new CPU? Or both? Your current board won't support a Core 2 Duo chip, it's just too old. Also, if you're looking at getting a new board for a brand like Gateway, you'll also have to look at a new tower, most likely.

NightNinja

NightNinja

• Pip
  • 7 posts
well, youll want socket 478 processor. theres a 2.8Ghz and 3.0Ghz pentium 4 at newegg that would be supported my your motherboard.

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I know mine won't support Core 2 Duo that's why I'm getting new, but Gateway doesn't use a widely used Motherboard size? For future reference which brands do use easy to find motherboards?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
My experience (at least with older (P3) Gateways) is that the I/O shield is built right into the case and isn't removable. Now, I don't know about your model, but my experience has been that even if the board will physically fit in the case, you're I/O shield will not be compatible with the new board.

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Will a different sized micro atx board fit?

rikki_uw

rikki_uw

• Pip
  • 5 posts
You will not be able to find a compatible board if the input output (I/O) shield is not removable. The I/O shield is where your various ports on the motherboard stick out of the back of the case, the shield covers the hole and only lets the ports stick out.

If it is removable then you might be able to get a board (a new board would come with its own I/O shield) to fit, depends on whether you can screw it in properly. The main problem is physical size. I don't know about Gateway but Dell sets (or at least used to) theirs up so that no other board will fit in the case.

Hope this clears things up.

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well the back doesn't appear removable. For the future which brands are easily interchangeable?

How would a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz compare to a Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Well, Speed wise you lose about .6GHz. Heat wise, your P4 is going to be a LOT hotter. Personally, I don't consider a P4 3.0 to be that bad a CPU. That's probably because my last comp was a P4 2.8, before I got my laptop, and I never really had any issues with it speed wise. However, dual-core CPU's definitely have an advantage over single core's, just because they have that much more power packed into that same space.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Well, Speed wise you lose about .6GHz.

You can't just multiply the speed of a Core 2 Duo by two and then compare it to a Pentium 4. The Core 2 Duo and Pentium 4 are each based on entirely different microarchitectures. The Core microarchitecture is much more efficient at handling instructions than the Netburst microarchitecture (which is what the Pentium 4 is based upon). Therefore, any Core 2 Duo will best any Pentium 4 in anything you do.

To give an analogy...

Imagine the 3.0ghz Pentium 4 as a paperboy making his routes. He can ride down the street at 30mph, but he's rather clumsy and only manages to throw out one paper by the time he reaches the end of the street. He must then turn around at go back down the street to deliver the rest of the papers, one paper at a time. Now, the 1.8ghz Core 2 Duo is also a paperboy. He goes down the street at only 18mph, but has much better coordination and manages to throw 10 papers by the time he reaches the end of the street. Not only this, but on some special streets (multi-threaded applications), his friend helps him out by also traveling at 18mph while managing to throw 10 papers. Who do you think will get done with their route sooner?

Edited by stettybet0, 06 August 2008 - 09:19 PM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ok, that makes sense. I've never heard it explained that way.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Ok, that makes sense. I've never heard it explained that way.

Maybe that's because I made that analogy up on the spot. :) I think it's pretty good though.

Edited by stettybet0, 07 August 2008 - 01:52 PM.

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Well the back doesn't appear removable. For the future which brands are easily interchangeable?

How would a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz compare to a Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
lol, stettybet0! :)

kwaski...I personally would prefer to build myself a computer rather then buy one prebuilt. That way I know *exactly* what goes in it, etc. However, Emachines makes machines with removable I/O shields, as well as (some, at least) HP's. I know Dell doesn't, but then you can't put a board in a Dell except a Dell branded board, so that's kinda beside the point...I'm not really familiar with too many other brands. Emachines (in my experience) have boards that tend to fail rather regularly. I believe I replaced three or four emachine boards last winter.

Ok, now I'm rambling, I'll shut up now.

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I've looked at different cases on Newegg and now I'm not sure. How do I tell if the I/O shield is removable? Does it have screws or just pop in?