Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CLONE my Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

JoeDDD

JoeDDD

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a 2.5" 60G HD in my hand. I would like to clone it while it is still running. I have already salvaged the data from this HD. Then I would like to move "Office 03" from this HD into my computer.

I have a P4 XP computer, a USB to IDE cable, a new 2.5" 40G HD, and 3 old CD's which years ago were used to clone this HD from its predecessor.

I'm sure this is all very simple, but I just do not know how to do it. Your help would be appreciated.

Joe

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Office will not be transferable unless you have the original CDs, if that's your intention. You cannot copy program files of a program from one computer to another and expect them to work, you'll need the original CD.

JoeDDD

JoeDDD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
LapLink has a program they sell called PC Mover. It can do this move I understand, so why do you believe it is not possible without the original disks?

In any case, the problem is how to clone the drive.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
You can clone the hard drive from 1 drive to another. You can also make an "image" to be used to redo your drive.
The CD's you have may be the original image. What are those CD's? Are they a program for cloning, or the image.

Programs such as ghost, Acronis true image, clonemax, etc. More found HERE, will work. Most of the drive manufacturers have software to allow you to clone a drive also.

Then I would like to move "Office 03" from this HD into my computer

. This can not be done as stated by Neil Jones. A program can not be moved from 1 computer to another computer. It needs to "installed" from the original CD.

I believe the drive your are going to clone needs to be installed in the computer. I suspect you can clone it by hooking it into another computer, but I personnally have not done that. You will need an ide cable converter for a 2.5 inch drive to be able to hook it to a desktop computer. Is that what you have? You will need 2 cables for this, or install the 1st drive back into the laptop.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Most any boxed hard drive will come with a software CD that will let you clone a hard drive. If you want to clone any 2.5" drive, which is what you need to do because the cloned drive will only work in that laptop, you will need a couple of 2.5to3.5" driver adapters, they're only about $10 each, and hook the drives up to your desktop with the drive to be cloned in the master position and the new drive in the slave position, then boot from the software CD and follow the straightforward instructions. If the new drive doesn't come with the software CD you can download the image file and burn it as an image to make your own disk. It has to be from the maker of one of the hard drives or it won't work. Be careful about getting too large a drive or too fast if this is an older system.

JoeDDD

JoeDDD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
First, to Mr Runner:
1. The CD's would be an old image, but acceptable.
2. I will acquire the manufacturer's have software to allow me to clone a drive.
3. I will worry about moving Office at a later time, but thank you.
4. I have the needed cables and so will see what the Mfg's software will support.

Thank you. ------------------------

Now, to Mr Tyger:
Thank you for your advice and cautions. I will obtain the needed software and proceed.

Thank you. ------------------------