Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uncommanded CPU shutdown related to driver problem

• Please log in to reply

hsoup

hsoup

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ref thread: http://www.geekstogo...ff#entry1275211

Original problem appeared to be malware & spyware. That problem seems to be resolved, but still I get an uncommanded CPU shutdown blue screen when I attempt to run Norton and other programs. Blue screen message reads as follows:

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused Windows to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem report summary

Problem type
Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?
No

What does this problem mean?
Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause
Unknown

Computer symptoms
A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take
Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Technical Information
How to Troubleshoot Hardware and Software Driver Problems in Windows XP (Q322205)
Information about hardware device drivers for Windows XP
Stop 0xC2 or BAD_POOL_CALLER
The Stop 0xC2 message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations in the following ways:

By allocating a memory pool size of zero bytes.
By allocating a memory pool that does not exist.
By attempting to free a memory pool that is already free.
By allocating or freeing a memory pool at an IRQL that was too high.
This Stop message is typically due to a faulty driver or software.

Possible Resolutions:

A Stop 0xC2 messages might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.
A Stop 0xC2 messages might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (such as disk controllers, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.
If you encounter a Stop 0xC2 message while upgrading to Windows XP, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates.

I installed a new DVD on the computer after this problem occurred. To my recollection, I did not install any new drivers prior to the DVD installation. Any help would be appreciated.

vty
h

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The first thing to do is go through all the event logs and look at the errors. Double click on an event to see the details. Also open the device manager and see if all the hardware has good drivers. Any yellow question marks mean non-working hardware.

hsoup

hsoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I'm pretty slow at this. Where do I find the event logs? What details am I looking for?

I've looked at the device manager -- all drivers show good status.

vty
h

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello hsoup...

When you receive the BSOD, what is the (numerical) code that is displayed? There should be a stop error code (for example: 0x0000001E) along with 4 parameters (also numerical). There may also be a mention of a file name on the BSOD.

Knowing this information may help us determine the problem.

wannabe1

hsoup

hsoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The last Stop code I captured was: 0x000000 8E(0xC0000005, 0x8054B51A, 0xA8BE1680, 0x00000000) I do not recall the file name specifically. I will try to get it from the archives and send it to you. Thank you for your help.

vty
h

hsoup

hsoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I searched the archives, but did not find the file name. I'll get it next time the blue screen comes up, which is generally at least once a day.

vty
h

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds good.

Does any specific task or application seem to bring these on?

I've seen bad RAM modules cause this BSOD and an overheating processor can also generate this error. We might want to check both of those.

When you next get the BSOD, also make note of the descriptor which should be above or next to the codes.

hsoup

hsoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Here's what I got after the blue screen:

Error signature – 20 Aug 08BCCode : c2 BCP1 : 00000007 BCP2 : 00000CD4 BCP3 : 06460627
BCP4 : 002E0034 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

Blue screen error caused by a device or driver
You received this message because a hardware device, its driver, or related software has caused a blue screen error. This type of error means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss. In this case, we were unable to detect the specific device or driver that caused the problem.

Is this what you need to help analyze the problem?

vty
h

hsoup

hsoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Forgot to mention that the information did not come dirctly from the blue screen. I did not catch it in time before the screen went blank.

And to answer you earlier question, the problem has routinely occurred when Norton would run an automatic scan or an update. However, I ran it today and had no blue screen! (Odd, very odd.) Sunday, when the latest update was finished, I could not reboot and had to open in safe mode and revert to the last known good configuration.

vty
h