Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 reinstall gone bad

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Going back to your first post: you copied and created a windows 2000 folder from which you try to install (if I understand correctly). That cannot work. Had it been an .ISO file of the entire installation CD you could recreate a new CD from the file. Simple copying doesn't work.

Try to paste the files (boot, ntldr, ntdetect) over the existing files. If that doesn't help then I think that you must get win 2000 installation CD. You can even borrow one, installing and using your product key which is probably written down on a sticker at the bottom of the computer.

Advertisements

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Pasting those boot files over the existing files in C: worked!! My computer now boots normally.

Thanks so much!!

This gets me back to the beginning where I was trying to reinstall W2K so I would have a fresh install on this computer. Is there any way to reinstall W2K without the CD? You mentioned .ISO file.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Now it's too late for an ISO file. If you don't have win 2000 professional installation CD but you can borrow one, you can burn the CD to another CD and have an installation disk of your own. Using it with your product key is perfectly legal.

Thanks for letting us know the end result.