Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Exploring server's shared files halts

• Please log in to reply

Mobious

Mobious

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

One last thing i forgot to say. Some ethernet cables (from the workstations to a switch) are quite close from power cords.
Although most cables (including the one from the main switch to the server) are at a proper distance from power cords, could EMI be blocking the whole network?.

EMI can be a possible cause if all network activity is disrupted. Based on your initial post, you only encounter issues with file sharing so EMI cannot be the cause.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If CAL is the cause, wouldn´t i get a message saying i reached max connections or something like that (instead of the annoying "not responding" explorer window)?.

not on the client...or at the very least not as a popup error message....this warning would most possibly show up in the event log on the server in question (which also wouldn't be a bad thing to look at...the event log on both the target server and the host that's having the issues)

EMI can be a possible cause if all network activity is disrupted. Based on your initial post, you only encounter issues with file sharing so EMI cannot be the cause

agreed....also most computer power cords are shielded

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Ok. I've checked the event log at the server... no warning or error during the halts. One odd thing (at least for me) is that there are tons of events in the Security folder (or whatever it's called). Usually more than one in a second and sometimes even 10 events at one second!.
The ones i checked had details like "User logoff ..." or "User login ..." or "Special privilegies assigned to login..." .
Is this normal?
Our network is quite small (10 - 15 workstations but 2 of them aren't able to join the domain)

Thanks