Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Keyboard Response--HijackThis Log Included [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi geek :)

Slow browsers can be caused by quite a few things, add-ons, toolbars, security settings etc. Both browsers have a 'safe mode' version available. Try them.

For IE
Click start > all programs > accessories > system tools > Internet Explorer (no Add-ons).

If this works then you can try resetting IE back to its defaults.

Click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Internet Options
- Go to the advanced tab
- Click the reset button to set everything back to the default settings for the browser.

For Firefox
Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox Safe Mode

If this works then you should remove add ons installed for Firefox.

In Firefox on the menu click Tools > Add-ons
- Go to the extensions tab
- Remove installed extensions, leave the add-ons tab alone.

Hide Your File Extensions
- open "my computer"
- On the menu click tools > folder options
- go to the "view" tab
- checkmark the box that says "hide extensions for known file types"
- click ok

Remove Tools We Used
- Make sure you have an Internet Connection.
- Double-click OTMoveIt2.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit2.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
- Click on the CleanUp! button
- A list of tool components used in the Cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
- If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OtMoveit2 to reach the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
- Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
- You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore
This removes infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)

1. Turn off System Restore
- On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
- Click Properties.
- Click the System Restore tab.
- Check Turn off System Restore.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Restart your computer

3. Turn ON System Restore
- On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
- Click Properties.
- Click the System Restore tab.
- UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.

System Restore will now be active again.

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you do the following:
  • Update and run a full scan weekly with your antivirus. Some good free programs are AVG, Avira, and Avast. Remember to only have one antivirus program installed at a time.
  • Update and run a full scan weekly with your anti-spyware/anti-malware. A couple good free programs are: Superantispyware, Spybot, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
  • you should also have a good firewall. Here are 2 free ones available for personal use: Zone Alarm and Comodo. Please choose one to use, download and install it. Once its installed you will start getting requests for programs and files to access the internet. Only allow programs that you recognize.
  • To keep your operating system up to date visit Microsoft Windows Update monthly.
  • To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klein: So how did I get infected in the first place?
Have a safe and happy computing day! :)

Advertisements

geek08

geek08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi MishWasHere

Sorry for not getting back to earlier, was in the process of formatting my PC. Reason for it was I couldn't open Internet Explorer even in Safe Mode & after sometime even my Internet wasn't working, so couldn't clean up OTMoveIT2. At this stage, gave up & started to format my laptop.

Now the slow keyboard thing is back again, the mistake I did was copied dell drivers onto that USB to install onto my laptop..thought there was nothing on it..if you can shed any light on it & help to clean up all my USB drives & an external drive would really appreciate it, I have actually scanned them all with antivirus/anti spyware programs & nothing was found, so only used it.

Do I have to just stop using any USB keys or is there a way around. Pls help me...thanks

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hello again :)

Since it's a new installation it's not a malware problem. You should be moving over to the Windows XP Section of the site now with a new post.

Make sure to look into the programs I recommended to stay malware clean :)

Take care and good luck!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.