Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Build

• Please log in to reply

ncmannewbuild

ncmannewbuild

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Im building a new pc looking at inter or amd wanting a fast set up without spending 2000.00 on a mother board and cpu looking at intel e8500 or amd 9950 black edition need some in but on mother boards and cpu 32 bit or 64

Edited by ncmannewbuild, 06 August 2008 - 07:40 PM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ok, dual core or Quad core? Most of Intel's CPU's perform better then their AMD counterparts, so I would tend to lean toward Intel, but that's a personal preference.

The advantage that a 64 Bit CPU/OS has over a 32 Bit CPU/OS is that you can have *way* more RAM then in a 32 Bit. A 32 Bit is limited to 4GB RAM, but a 64 Bit will take up to 16 EB, which (I believe) is a step after TB.

Also, for future reference, it makes your posts much easier to read if you include some punctuation with them.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

The advantage that a 64 Bit CPU/OS has over a 32 Bit CPU/OS is that you can have *way* more RAM then in a 32 Bit. A 32 Bit is limited to 4GB RAM, but a 64 Bit will take up to 16 EB, which (I believe) is a step after TB.

You can run 32-bit Windows on 64-bit processors.
Theoretically 64-bit systems can see such an obscene amount of memory at their maximum capacity I doubt it'll ever become reality. 16 exabytes is a ludicrous amount of memory, in this day and age when 2Gb of memory is considered plenty.
In more practical terms though, most processors don't even support 64-bit, capping out at 48-bit. Even then its still an obscene amount of theoretical maximum memory. Even 64-bit Windows only has an upper limit of 128Gb. In 1981 Bill Gates (allegedly) declared that half a megabyte of memory would be enough for anybody.

Edited by Neil Jones, 07 August 2008 - 03:36 PM.