Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sudden strange error messages, help!

• Please log in to reply

inatree

inatree

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi, i am having problems with my system.
it has always had its problems but since there is no customer service and i am not technically a computer geek, i have never done anything about them. they have never interfered with anything important until now.
this is what has happened:

i installed a lexmark printer/scanner recently, and it worked fine. a few days later, after a day of normal computer function, while i was moving an image file to a different folder, suddenly tons of error messages, and even a couple of DOS windows that close by themselves came up. the messages wouldn't go away so i restarted, since then, they are relentless and occur every few minutes repeatedly. also since then, the lexmark software will not work anymore. i am a full time student and classes are starting in a few weeks, so i need to get this taken care of.

when i try to use the printer software, the error message says that some kind of dll file "is not a valid windows image".

here are the error messages. they all come up after bootup, and during shut-down.
the first one always comes up every 15 mins or so, for 6 times.

the most common one that comes up repeatedly:

16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
c:\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
the NTVCM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
(then a long line of numbers and letters)
choose close to terminate application.

AOLDial.exe - bad image
the application or DLL c:\program files\common files\AOL\ACS\xprt5.dll is not a valid windows image. please check against your installation diskette.

16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
c:\progra~1\HP\HPSOFT~1\HPWUSC~1.exe
the NTVDM has encountered an illegal instuction.

keep in mind that although i can work my way around a computer, i in no way consider myself computer savvy. (i just recently found out about the disk defrag.)

things i have tried:

uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software
a virus scan
disk defrag
uninstalling all AOL programs possible since i saw AOL in one of the error messages
system restore - i tried several different restore points, and nothing would stop the error messages or change the situation in any way.

also my system is now taking even longer to shut down (about 20-30 mins)
it stays on the "shutting down" screen for a very long time before it actually turns off.

i don't know what else to do...am hoping one of you know something!!!!

thanks!!!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Taking a long time to shut down is often a sign of Windows updates not installing, since they install on shutdown when Automatic is turned on. You might turn Automatic off and see if that lets it shuts down in a timely manner. This message is also related to Windows Update failing:

16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
c:\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
the NTVCM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

This may help you correct that problem:

http://support.micro...kb/943144/en-us

Method 2 seems to work best to get WU working again. After you've corrected that problem come back and post again and we'll see if we can correct any other problems left. That may correct all your problems since the update process is broken.

Edited by Tyger, 06 August 2008 - 09:55 PM.

inatree

inatree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
could the fact that i am without an internet connection right now be a part of the problem?

i recently moved and haven't set up internet yet. mainly because i am too depressed over having to have dial-up instead of wireless or dsl because i can't find any month to month plans. (i'm moving again in jan) so i will have to wait until i can get to a computer where i can download the "Windows Update Agent" and then put it on my system.

i've been without internet before and my computer has never done this before.

inatree

inatree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i've been getting this one too...

HP boot optimizer
HP boot optimizer has encountered a problem and needs to close. (etc)

does this have something to do with my startup and shutdown issues?

inatree

inatree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i am on a different computer now where i can download this update thing and i have NO idea what kind of system i have (to choose from these) -
AgentWindows, x86-based systems
Windows, x64-based systems
Windows, Itanium-based systems

am i in the wrong forum or something? i just dont know about all this itanium x86 x64 xxjjtywi6937 stuff.i tried to look it up, too. am i expected to know about these things? is there somewhere else i can go if i am only annoying everyone here? i miss using my really nice computer.